Vote for Danny Mwanga for Soccer News Net's Player of the Year
Nov. 24, 2009
CORVALLIS, Ore. - Oregon State sophomore forward Danny Mwanga is one of 34 of the nation's top men's college soccer players and has been named a finalist for the Soccer News Net Player of the Year Award.
The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. A dozen additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.
Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player. Voting began on Tuesday, November 17 and will continue until December 19, and will be conducted on Big Apple Soccer (www.bigapplesoccer.com), ChicagoLand Soccer News (www.chicagolandsoccernews.com), LA Soccer News (www.lasoccernews.com), New England Soccer News (www.newenglandsoccernews.com), Philly Soccer News (www.phillysoccernews.com) and Dallas Soccer News. (www.dallassoccernews.com)
Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award. The remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six web sites.
Mwanga became the first men's soccer Pac-10 Player of the Year in school history it was announced last week by Commissioner Larry Scott. He was also named the Pac-10 Player of the Week twice this season in back-to-back weeks.
Mwanga was one of the most prolific scorers this season and led the Pac-10 in goals scored (14) and goals per game (0.78), was tied for first in points (30), points per game (1.67), and game winning goals (5).
The native of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, moved into the top-10 in career goals scored in school history with 18 in just two years.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 3/22 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 5:00pm PTLive