It's Been a Great Season
Dec. 4, 2009
Corvallis, Ore. -
What a great game the 113th Civil War was; one for the memory books for sure.
It was another great season of Beaver football highlighted by the fifth consecutive victory at California, the first win at Arizona State since 1969, the sixth consecutive win over Washington and the thriller at UNLV. In a season where the national and local media predicted a rebuilding year, Beaver football finished as runners-up in the Pac-10 race for the second straight time.
One thing has become abundantly clear, under the direction of head football coach Mike Riley, the Beaver football program is in fact that, a program. The 2009 season is proof that Coach Riley has built the Beavers into one of the elite teams in the Pac-10 and nation.
If you were on the sidelines this year and want to get into the game for the 2010 season that includes home games with Oregon, USC and California among others, inquire about season tickets and becoming a Beaver Athletic Student Fund (BASF) member. It’s easy to sign up and become one of the 12,000 by 2012 by calling 1-800-GOBEAVS or 541-737-2370.
Enjoy the following facts about your Beaver football program:
· 80 wins this decade, compared to 29 during the 1990s and 22 in the 1980s.
· Eight bowl games this decade (nine including 1999).
· Five consecutive bowl victories, the second-longest active streak in the nation.
· Three consecutive Associated Press top-25 rankings – possibly four straight.
· Seven wins in the last 14 games vs. top-25 teams, including over No. 1 USC, No. 2 California and No. 3 USC.
· A school record seven players drafted by NFL clubs last season.
· 28 Pac-10 Academic selections over the last two years.
· For the fourth consecutive year the team finished higher in the Pac-10 standings than predicted.
· Back-to-back Pac-10 Conference runner-up finishes.
· Four consecutive winning seasons; the longest streak since a five-year run between 1966-70.
· A Pac-10 high 20 returning starters for the 2010 team, including the dynamic brothers James and Jacquizz Rodgers.
· 16 lost starters on defense over the last two years; only two lost off the 2009 team.
· Probable top-25 team entering the 2010 season.
· A 2010 schedule with Oregon, USC, California, Arizona State, Louisville, Washington State and Eastern Washington at home.
· Head coach Mike Riley will enter next season with a legitimate chance to become the winningest coach in school history.
· Since 2002 OSU has had seven 1,000-plus yards rushers; tied for the most in the Pac-10.
The Beavers are going “bowling” again this Holiday season and consider this…since 1999 OSU has participated in more bowl games than Washington, Washington State, Stanford, California, Arizona, Arizona State and UCLA, and has the same number of appearances as USC.
Bowl tickets are available now to 2009 Beaver season ticket holders by calling 1-800-GOBEAVS or online at osubeavers.com. The deadline to receive priority status is Dec. 9; at that time bowl tickets will become available to the general public.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive