California Volleyball Draws Penn State in Gainesville Regional Final
Dec. 11, 2009
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -
The ninth-seeded California volleyball team (21-10) will face top-seeded Penn State (35-0) in the 2009 NCAA Div. I Women’s Volleyball Gainesville Regional Championship match. The Golden Bears are experiencing a little déjà vu as they have drawn the Nittany Lions in each of their last three trips to the postseason. Cal is also re-tracing a path it took to the national semifinal match in 2007 when it took out a Big 12 opponent (Iowa State) in the Wisconsin Regional semifinal before shocking defending NCAA champion Nebraska in three sets to advance. For the third consecutive year, the Bears will face the defending NCAA champion in the postseason.
- Cal advances to the NCAA Regional Championship match for the third straight year.
- The Golden Bears are one of just four programs to have reached the regional final in each of the last three years. The other three teams to have accomplished the same feat are Penn State, Texas and Nebraska.
- Sr. OH Hana Cutura’s 612 kills this season rank second on Cal single-season records.
- Sr. OH Hana Cutura’s 1,372 attacks this season rank fifth in Cal single-season records.
- Sr. OH Hana Cutura is poised to become the first Cal player to break the 2,000-kill plateau. She became Cal’s all-time leader earlier this season and now has 1,988 career kills to rank fifth in the all-time Pac-10 records. Only four players have recorded more than 2,000 kills in Pac-10 history:
- 2,450 – Ogonna Nnamani, Stanford (2001-04)
- 2,255 – Kristee Porter, UCLA (1998-01)
- 2,151 – Kim Glass, Arizona (2002-05)
- 2,115 – Natalie Williams, UCLA (1989-92)
- Sr. OH Hana Cutura ranks seventh in the Pac-10 in career attacks with 4,602.
- Jr. S Carli Lloyd’s 1,339 assists this season rank ninth in Cal single-season records.
- Sr. DS/L Kristen Kathan’s 457 digs this season rank sixth in Cal single-season records.
- Sr. MH Mindi Wiley’s 126 blocks this season rank ninth in Cal single-season records.
- Cal’s senior class of outside hitter Hana Cutura, libero Kristen Kathan and middle hitter Mindi Wiley have guided the Bears to the winningest four-year span in Cal volleyball history. In the last four seasons, the Bears have amassed a 95-25 record for a .760 winning percentage.
- As Cal’s most successful head coach, Rich Feller achieved his 200th victory at the helm for the Bears and his 500th career win earlier this season. His record now stands at 212-125 (.693) at Cal and 511-292 (.636) in his career. Feller has also posted a 17-7 (.810) record in the NCAA tournament as Cal’s mentor.
- Cal has faced Penn State in the NCAA tournament in each of the past three seasons. The Bears fell to the Nittany Lions in three sets in the 2007 national semifinal match at Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif.; and lost in three sets in the 2008 University Park regional final at Rec Hall in College Station, Pa.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:30pm PTLive