Chan And Dy Victorious In Michigan Invite Opener
Jan. 16, 2010
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Venise Chan and Denise Dy picked up in 2010 right where they left off in the 2009 fall season, as both earned singles wins today for Washington, which opened up its season at the Michigan Invitational. Chan and Dy earned 15 points for UW in the four-team standings with wins over Michigan's top two players.
Chan, ranked 11th nationally, took care of 36th-ranked Denise Muresan in the No. 1 singles position, 6-3, 7-5. With Dy, the Huskies had the third-ranked player in the NCAA playing No. 2 singles, but she got off to a slow start against Rika Tatsuno, losing the first set, 6-2. Dy hung in for a 6-4 win in set number two, and then pulled away for a 6-2 third set win to seal the victory.
The results for the rest of the Dawgs against the Wolverines were not as strong, as UM captured the third through seventh singles matches in straight sets. Lina Xu, Aleksandra Malovic, and Samantha Smith were unsuccessful in their singles matches at the three, four, and five spots, in order. Husky senior Joyce Ardies did not make the trip, removing one of UW's most reliable singles players and one half of its 11th-ranked doubles team.
The format for the Michigan Invitational falls halfway in-between a dual match and an individual tournament. Each day, Washington, Michigan, Tennessee, and Miami will play up to eight singles matches and four doubles matches against each other, rotating around for a new singles and doubles opponent each day. Points are tallied up, with teams earning more for wins higher in the order, and a champion will be declared after play ends Monday.
The Huskies matched up in doubles play against 11th-ranked Tennessee earlier in the day. Without Ardies in doubles, Chan and Samantha Smith stepped up to the top spot to face the No. 1-ranked doubles team in the nation. Chan and Smith very nearly pulled off the huge upset, coming up just short, 8-6. The Vols took all three doubles matches.
Sunday, the Huskies will play singles against Miami first and then doubles against Michigan in the afternoon.
Michigan Invitational Results, Day One
No. 20 Michigan vs. No. 24 Washington
1. (11) Venise Chan (Wash.) def. (36) Denise Muresan (U-M) - 6-3, 7-5
2. (3) Denise Dy (Wash.) def. Rika Tatsuno (U-M) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Whitney Taney (U-M) def. Lina Xu (Wash.) - 6-2, 7-5
4. Tania Mahtani (U-M) def. Aleksandra Malovic (Wash.) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Mimi Nguyen (U-M) def. Samantha Smith (Wash.) - 6-2, 6-4
6. Michelle Sulahian (U-M) def. Aleksandra Krslijanin (Wash.) - 6-2, 6-2
7. Kari Wig (U-M) def. Vanja Radunovic (Wash.) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
No. 11 Tennessee vs. No. 24 Washington
1. (1) Pluskota/Whoriskey (Tenn.) def. Chan/Smith (Wash.) - 8-6
2. Alda/Zubor (Tenn.) def. Malovic/Xu (Wash.) - 8-1
3. Lee/Sobello (Tenn.) def. Krsljanin/Radunovic (Wash.) - 8-0
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive