No. 13 Women's Tennis Turns Away UC Davis 7-0
Feb. 2, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 13 Stanford quickly blanked UC Davis 7-0 on Tuesday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, kicking off a busy week that includes three matches to be played over five days.
Stanford (2-0, 0-0 Pac-10) extended its home winning streak at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium to an unthinkable 153 in a row (123 in the regular season), recognized as the longest active home winning streak of any intercollegiate sport in NCAA Division I athletics. The last time the Cardinal lost a home match was back on Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Now the Cardinal will hit the road for challenging matches against No. 27 TCU (Friday, Feb. 5 at 12 p.m. PT) and No. 30 Texas (Saturday, Feb. 6 at 12 p.m. PT).
With rain in the forecast on Wednesday against UC Davis (0-3, 0-0 Big Sky), the six singles matches were played before doubles.
Stanford posted straight-set wins at all six spots, surrendering 18 games combined. Hilary Barte and Veronica Li cruised to identical 6-0, 6-1 wins at the Nos. 1 and 6 spots, respectively, while Lindsay Burdette provided the clincher with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at the No. 2 position.
The Cardinal was dominant in doubles, highlighted by Barte and Lindsay Burdette breezing to an 8-1 rout at the No.1 spot. The duo of Barte and Burdette is now 15-1 and riding a 14-match winning streak.
No. 13 Stanford 7, UC Davis 0
1) No. 1 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Legaspi/Stone (UCD) 8-1
2) M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Curry/Edles (UCD) 8-5
3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) d. Eades/Zamudio (UCD) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 18 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Desiree Stone (UCD) 6-0, 6-1
2) Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 16 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
4) Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
5) No. 78 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Sidney Brady (UCD) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive