20th-Ranked Huskies Blank The Pilots
Feb. 5, 2010
SEATTLE - Back in the Top-20 for the first time in five years, the Husky women's tennis team made quick work of Portland today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center, sweeping the Pilots 7-0. Washington, ranked 20th in the nation, did not drop a set at any spot today in improving to 4-1 for the season.
Washington sprinted through the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. 11th-ranked Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy improved to 5-0 at the No. 1 spot with an 8-2 win over Lacey Pflibsen and Megan Sporndli. At second doubles, Venise Chan and Samantha Smith didn't give up a game in an 8-0 win over Valeska Hoath and Stephanie Fuchs. In the third spot, sophomore Ashley Anderson of Mukilteo, Wash. saw her first dual match action in two years, and just the second of her career, as she teamed with Aleksandra Malovic for an 8-3 win over Stefanie Doolittle and Cassie McCloskey.
Moving on to singles, junior Aleksandra Krsljanin got her first start of the year, playing at the No. 6 spot, and she earned the day's first victory, 6-2, 6-0 over Tessa Mini. Shortly thereafter, Malovic put away McCloskey, 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 5 slot. The Huskies continued up the singles lineup, with Smith posting a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles over Fuchs that clinched the team win.
Ardies kept the run up the lineup going by closing out her No. 3 singles match against Stefanie Doolittle, 6-2, 6-2. Junior Lina Xu then took care of Sporndli, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 2 singles match. And finally to top things off, 11th-ranked Chan finished off Pflibsen in the top singles match, 7-5, 6-3.
The Huskies continue to own the all-time series, with a 20-0 record now.
This Sunday the Huskies will be back on court to hit against the 48th-ranked San Diego State Aztecs. First serve for that match is set for 10 a.m. at the Nordstrom.
Washington Women's Tennis
February 5, 2010 - Seattle, Wash.
Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 20 Washington 7, Portland 0
1) (11) Ardies/Dy (UW) def. Sporndli/Pflibsen (UP), 8-2
2) Smith/Chan (UW) def. Hoath/Fuchs (UP), 8-0
3) Malovic/Anderson (UW) def. Doolittle/McCloskey (UP), 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1) (11) Venise Chan (UW) def. Lacey Pflibsen (UP), 7-5, 6-3
2) Lina Xu (UW) def. Megan Sporndli (UP), 6-2, 6-2
3) Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Stefanie Doolittle (UP), 6-2, 6-2
4) Samantha Smith (UW) def. Stephanie Fuchs (UP), 6-0, 6-2
5) Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Cassie McCloskey (UP), 6-0, 6-1
6) Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW) def. Tessa Mini (UP), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1