No. 1 Trojans Top Toreros 7-0
Feb. 7, 2010
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 1 USC men's tennis team finally got a break in the weather to get in its match against San Diego, and the Trojans took full advantage of the clear skies by posting a 7-0 sweep of the visiting Toreros. USC rolled through doubles and on into a run through singles to improve the Trojans' overall record to 6-0 on the year with the win.
It was smooth sailing through doubles play as Johnson/Nguyen snagged an 8-1 win first, and then Farah/Sundling captured an 8-2 win next to lock down the doubles point. Lucassen/Poldma made it a clean sweep soon after in an 8-6 win at No. 3, and USC was off to the races in singles play.
Robert Farah worked past his USC opponent Jackson at the No. 1 slot before Jackson retired from the match due to injury as USC went up 2-0. Steve Johnson cleaned up next with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Bubnic at No. 2, and Daniel Nguyen secured things with a 6-3, 6-1 decision at No. 3 over Wolmarans. The Trojans chugged right along from there, as Matt Kecki delivered a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 over Schive and Peter Lucassen followed with another straight-set Trojan win in a 7-5, 6-2 victory at No. 5 to make it 6-0 USC. The match at the No. 6 slot went to a third set, but JT Sundling rallied back to win in a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 comeback that rounded out the match as a 7-0 USC sweep.
USC now heads to competition at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Virginia later this week for action running Feb. 12-15.
#1 USC 7, #60 San Diego 0
Feb. 7, 2010 - Marks Stadium
(1) Farah/Sundling (USC) def. Jackson/Schive (USD) - 8-2
(2) Johnson/Nguyen (USC) def. Wolmarans/Visy (USD) - 8-1
(3) Poldma/Lucassen (USC) def. Bubnic/Hashem (USD) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Jackson (USD) - 6-1, 3-0 ret.
(2) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Bubnic (USD) - 6-2, 6-3
(3) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Wolmarans (USD) - 6-3, 6-1*
(4) Peter Lucassen (USC) def. Visy (USD) - 7-5, 6-2
(5) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Schive (USD) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) JT Sundling (USC) def. Hashem (USD) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*, 5, 4, 6