Stith, Tchernikov Get First Dual Wins In Sweep Of Seattle
Feb. 12, 2010
ISSAQUAH, Wash. - The 24th-ranked Husky men's tennis team made one of its shortest road trips in many years tonight, playing as the road team against Seattle U. at the Sammamish Club and returning home with a 7-0 win. Washington (8-1) was able to mix up the lineup tonight against the Redhawks and sophomore Matt Stith and freshman Nick Tchernikov both earned their first career dual match singles wins.
Stith, from Santa Barbara, Calif., did have a win in two starts in the doubles lineup last year but got his first shot at the singles lineup and made it count against Andrew Tran, winning 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot. Tchernikov, of Port Coquitlam, B.C., saw his first dual match play of any kind and defeated Adam Strizich, 7-5, 7-5, at sixth singles.
Freshman Kyle McMorrow played No. 1 singles for the first time and had little trouble with Mark Shkretbtan, winning 6-0, 6-3. Juniors Martin Kildahl and Alex Rosinski had identical 6-0, 6-1 wins at second and third singles, respectively, and junior Skyler Tateishi picked up his second career dual match win, 6-0, 6-3, over Andrew Tran.
The Huskies raced through the doubles point with 8-1 wins on every court. Rosinski and junior Brad Bator beat Shkretbtan and Simon Meske at the No. 1 spot. Stith and Kildahl teamed up to beat Alex Montgomery and Tran at No. 2 doubles, and Tateishi and Tchernikov got the 8-1 win at No. 3 over Patrick Boorkman and Strizich.
Washington's next match will come a week from this Saturday, when the Huskies host Notre Dame on Feb. 20 with a 3 p.m. start time.
Washington Men's Tennis
February 12, 2010 - Issaquah, Wash.
No. 24 Washington 7, Seattle U. 0
1) Rosinski/Bator (UW) def. Shkretbtan/Meske (SU), 8-1
2) Stith/Kildahl (UW) def. Montgomery/Tran (SU), 8-1
3) Tateishi/Tchernikov (UW) def. Boorkman/Strizich (SU), 8-1
1) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Mark Shkretbtan (SU), 6-0, 6-3
2) Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Simon Meske (SU), 6-0, 6-1
3) Alex Rosinski (UW) def. Alex Montgomery (SU), 6-0, 6-1
4) Skyler Tateishi (UW) def. Patrick Boorkman (SU), 6-3, 6-0
5) Matt Stith (UW) def. Andrew Tran (SU), 6-0, 6-3
6) Nick Tchernikov (UW) def. Adam Strizich (SU), 7-5, 7-5