Rain Forces Women's Tennis Match to Be Called Midway Through
Feb. 20, 2010
Despite having a week of gorgeous Arizona spring weather, the rains came on Saturday just in time to force the Arizona State women's team to call their match against Saint Mary's halfway through competition. The match will not be rescheduled.
'It's just a shame,' said head coach Sheila McInerney. 'Luckily we got some competition in and hopefully it doesn't rain up in Berkeley on Monday.'
Three Sun Devils were able to finish their matches before the courts were ruled unplayable. Playing for the first time since the fall, Michelle Brycki stormed back into the ASU lineup and knocked off Saint Mary's Sabina Gunnarsson in straight sets. The junior won 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 6 slot. Micaela Hein also picked up a win for the Sun Devils. She defeated Anna Chikhilvishvili 4-6, 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 3 position. Kelcy McKenna fell in match in the No. 1 slot.
The Sun Devils head to Berkeley for their rescheduled match against California. The match will take place on Monday.
1. Alex Poorta (SMC) def. Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Nadia Abdala (ASU) vs. Catherine Isip (SMC) 4-6, 6-3, unfinished
3. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Anna Chikhilvishvili (SMC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Hannah James (ASU) vs. Claire Soper (SMC) 6-1, 6-7 unfinished
5. Sianna Simmons vs. Alisa Spitzer (SMC) 6-7, 6-2 unfinished
6. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Sabina Gunnarsson (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Hein/Abdala (ASU) vs. Poorter/Soper(SMC)
2. McKenna/James (ASU) vs. Chikhilvishvili/Isip (SMC)
3. Brycki/Smith (ASU) vs. Strijbis/Aloia (SMC)