No. 28 Tennis Drops Nonconference Match to California
Feb. 22, 2010
The No. 28 Arizona State women's tennis team could not hold off No. 3 California in their non-conference match-up as the Sun Devils fell 6-1. Four Sun Devils took their opponents to three sets, but were unable to pick up wins. The match, originally scheduled for February 6, was rescheduled due to high chances of a rainout. The Sun Devils dropped to 3-2 while California improved to 7-1.
'It was a disappointing match that we had the chance to win,' said 26th year head coach Sheila McInerney. 'It's disappointing that we had four three-setters and couldn't close the deal on any of them. We failed to cash in on it.'
Michelle Brycki and Nicole Smith proved to be victorious in their doubles match over Tayler Davis and Annie Goransson. The duo, playing together for the first time this season, won 8-4. This was Smith's Sun Devil debut and the first doubles match of 2010 for Brycki. Brycki also picked up a win in the No. 6 slot. The Australian sophomore improved her dual record to 2-0 by defeating Davis 6-4, 6-3.
'It was good to get Nikki [Smith] in the lineup,' said McInerney. 'Michelle hadn't played doubles in awhile either so it was nice to get them together.'
The rest of the match proved to be tough for the Sun Devils as they dropped four three-set matches. No. 97 Kelcy McKenna missed her chance of an upset as she dropped 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 to No. 20 Marina Cossou. No. 106 Micaela Hein scrapped out a 7-5 second set win to take it to three against No. 75 Mari Andersson but could not hold on as the Bears clinched the win with Andersson's 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 win. Hannah James and Sianna Simmons also took their opponents to the third set, but were unable to walk out of Hellman Tennis Complex with a win. Senior Nadia Abdala, playing in the No. 1 slot for the first time this season, dropped two hard fought sets to No. Jana Juricova.
No. 3 California 6, No. 28 Arizona State 1
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Monday, Feb. 22, 2010Doubles
1. No. 13 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. Abdala/Hein (ASU) 8-5
2. No. 54 Cossou/Siwosz (CAL) def. James/McKenna (ASU) 8-3
3. Brycki/Smith (ASU) def. Davis/Goransson (CAL) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 2 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU) 7-5, 7-5
2. No. 20 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. No. 97 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. No. 75 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. No. 106 Micaela Hein (ASU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Kasia Siwosz (CAL) def. Hannah James (ASU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Nelly Radeva (CAL) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Tayler Davis (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 5, 1, 2*, 4, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive