No. 11 Women's Tennis Remains Unbeaten, Blanks Hawai'i 7-0
Feb. 24, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 11 Stanford registered its third straight shutout and fifth overall on Wednesday afternoon, blanking Hawai'i 7-0 at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Stanford improved to 7-0 while Hawai'i fell to 1-8. The Cardinal extended its home winning streak to an unthinkable 156 in a row (126 in the regular season), recognized as the longest active home winning streak of any intercollegiate sport in NCAA Division I athletics. The last time the Cardinal lost a home match was back on Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead, allowing only five games combined.
The Cardinal followed with six straight-set singles victories. Carolyn McVeigh won her sixth match in a row with a 6-1, 6-0 victory on court five to give Stanford a 2-0 lead before Mallory Burdette blasted Natasha Zorec 6-1, 6-1 for her team-leading 19th win of the year.
Stacey Tan won her first match since cracking the national rankings at No. 54, taking down Alyssa Nafarrete 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot.
Now comes the biggest challenge yet for Stanford, which travels to No. 4 UCLA (Friday, Feb. 26) and No. 10 USC (Saturday, Feb. 27). The matches do not count toward the Pac-10 standings but will be crucial when it comes to postseason seeding.
No. 11 Stanford 7, Hawai'i 0
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. Kobuch/Poljakova (HAW) 8-1
2) No. 37 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Pinterova/Nafarrete (HAW) 8-3
3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) d. Van den Bergh/Zorec (HAW) 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 13 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Sophie Kobuch (HAW) 6-2, 6-1
2) No. 36 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Katarina Poljakova (HAW) 6-4, 6-2
3) No. 24 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Natasha Zorec (HAW) 6-1, 6-1
4) No. 54 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Alyssa Nafarrete (HAW) 6-0, 6-3
5) No. 70 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Aglae Van den Bergh (HAW) 6-1, 6-0
6) Jennifer Yen (STAN) d. Allison Gobel (HAW) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4, 1, 6, 2