No. 4 UCLA Overpowers 11th-ranked Stanford, 6-1
Feb. 26, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The fourth-ranked UCLA women's tennis team turned in one of its most dominating performances in series history against No. 11 Stanford on Friday afternoon, posting a commanding 6-1 victory over the Cardinal in a non-conference showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA (10-1) hands Stanford (7-1) its first loss of the season.
UCLA set the tone in doubles, taking two out of three matches to earn an early 1-0 advantage in the dual match. After both teams split resutls at court Nos. 2 and 3, the Bruins clinched the point when 11th-ranked Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack upset second-ranked Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette, 8-5 at court No. 1.
UCLA carried that momentum into singles, actually getting its first two points from a pair of freshmen who were playing in their first-ever dual match against the Cardinal. Unfazed by the pressure, Stephanie Hoffpauir (court No. 6) and Pamela Montez (court No. 4) each posted straight-set victories to give the Bruins a 3-0 lead.
That set the stage for junior Maya Johansson at court No. 5, as she notched a 6-1, 6-4 victory over 70th-ranked Carolyn McVeigh to give UCLA an insurmountable 4-0 advantage.
With the match already decided, the Bruins also received singles wins from Noelle Hickey (court No. 2) and Remynse (court No. 3).
Stanford was just able to avoid the shutout when Barte edged the higher-ranked Schnack, 7-5, 2-6, (10-7) at court No. 1.
UCLA is scheduled to face No. 3 Cal on Saturday at Noon, weather permitting.
#4 UCLA 6, #11 Stanford 1 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Feb 26, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #11 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. #2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) 8-5
2. #37 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) def. Hickey/Nina Pantic (UCLA) 8-5
3. Montez/Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Li/McVeigh (STAN) 8-5
1. #13 Hilary Barte (STAN) def. #5 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 7-5, 2-6, (10-7)
2. #48 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) def. #36 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-7(7), 6-2, (10-6)
3. #43 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. #24 Mallory Burdette (STAN) 7-6(8), 6-4
4. Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #54 Stacey Tan (STAN) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. #70 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 6-1, 6-4
6. #125 Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) def. Veronica Li (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
Stanford 7-1; National ranking #11
UCLA 10-1; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,1,2,3)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point