Women's Tennis Earns 6-1 Win Over Fresno State
Feb. 26, 2010
The No. 31 Arizona State University women's tennis team started off their weekend well with a 6-1 victory over the No. 64 Fresno State Bulldogs. The Sun Devils improved to 4-2 on the season.
In doubles action, Kelcy McKenna and Hannah James got to work quickly, taking out Laura Pola and Melissa McQueen 8-3 at the number two position. Nadia Abdala and Micaela Hein finished shortly after, ousting Renata Kucerkova and Bianca Modoc 8-3 at the number one spot. Arizona State's Michelle Brycki and Nicole Smith had a tough battle in the third spot, ultimately defeating Gulia Gragera-Cano and Olga Kirpicheva 8-6.
In singles action, Freshman Hannah James (ASU) didn't give up a game, taking out Julia Gragera-Cano 6-0, 6-0 at the number four position. Michelle Brycki (ASU) was the next player to come off the court, with a win over Fresno State's Melissa McQueen 6-2, 6-1 at the number five spot. Sianna Simmons (ASU) clinched the match for the Sun Devils when she defeated Anna Mikhaylova 6-3, 6-0. Junior Micaela Hein went on to defeat Bianca Modoc 6-1, 6-3 at the number three spot.
Kelcy McKenna had a tough match against Fresno State's Laura Pola. She won the first set 6-4 before dropping the second set 6-7. She battled hard to earn a win, defeating Pola 10-3 in the match breaker. Nadia Abdala didn't have the same luck, falling 6-3, 5-7, 6-10 to Renta Kucerkova at the number one spot.
Coach McInerney was pleased with her team's performance stating, 'I thought we came out and played well in doubles. In thefourth through sixth positions in singles we came out and finished quickly which is what we want to do. Kelcy played well and came back after losing the second set which is good. Nads' (Nadia Abdala) match was unfortunate...she missed one shot which would have made it three and four but Kucerkova is a good player and competed well. Overall, it was a good match and good tennis.'
The Sun Devils take on the Texas Longhorns Sunday at Noon, at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Nadia Abdala/Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Renata Kucerkova/Bianca Modoc (FSU) 8-3
2. Kelcy McKenna/Hannah James (ASU) def. Laura Pola/Melissa McQueen (FSU) 8-3
3. Michelle Brycki/Nicole Smith (ASU) def. Julia Gragera-Cano/Olga Kirpicheva 8-6
1. Renata Kucerkova (FSU) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
2. Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Laura Pola (FSU) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 10-3
3. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Bianca Modoc (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Hannah James (ASU) def. Julia Gragera-Cano (FSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Melissa McQueen (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Anna Mikhaylova (FSU) 6-3, 6-0