No. 5 USC Men Top No. 6 UCLA
March 3, 2010
WESTWOOD, CALIF. - The No. 5 USC men's tennis team recorded its first back-to-back wins against crosstown rival UCLA since 1991 with the Trojans' 6-1 win over the Bruins today at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. USC had claimed a 4-0 win over UCLA earlier this year at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, and this second look at UCLA was a similarly decisive victory for the Trojans. USC captured the doubles point and then worked ahead with the clincher coming from Matt Kecki to make it a 4-1 USC lead from his No. 6 singles slot. USC improves to 12-1 with today's win, while UCLA goes to 6-3.
After the teams traded wins in the first two doubles matches to finish, USC won the first point on an 8-6 victory from Trojans Lucassen/Poldma at the No. 3 position to get USC some momentum for singles.
#3 Steve Johnson tacked up a 6-2, 6-4 win over Holden Seguso to start singles up from his No. 2 slot, although the Bruins would make it 2-1 with Nick Meister's win over Peter Lucassen at No. 5. The Trojans were not phased by the UCLA push to close in, however. Three-setters were the story down the line, but #93 Jaak Poldma padded USC's lead to 3-1 on a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win at No. 3 over #92 Amit Inbar next. That set up Matt Kecki for his 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 win over Maxime Tabatruong at No. 6, and the Trojans had their second straight win over the Bruins in hand. Rounding out the win for good measure were #9 Robert Farah and #114 Daniel Nguyen. Farah topped #40 Haythem Abid 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot, and Nguyen took down #50 Matt Brooklyn 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 in a smooth comeback to finish off the Trojan victory.
USC's next competition comes next week with Wake Forest coming to town in a 1:30 p.m. match at Marks Stadium on March 10.
#5 USC 6, #6 UCLA 1
March 3, 2010 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. #13 Robert Farah/Steve Johnson (USC) def. Haythem Abid/Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 8-5
2. Amit Inbar/Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #40 Jason McNaughton/Daniel Nguyen (USC) - 8-6
3. Peter Lucassen/Jaak Poldma (USC) def. #57 Matt Brooklyn/Kallim Stewart (UCLA) - 8-6
USC Wins Doubles Point
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #9 Robert Farah (USC) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. #3 Steve Johnson (USC) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 6-2, 6-4
3. #93 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. #92 Amit Inbar (UCLA) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. #116 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #76 Peter Lucassen (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Kecki (USC) def. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) - 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,5,3,6,1,4