UCLA Falls to USC, 6-1 in Men's Tennis Action
March 3, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The sixth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team lost to its cross-town rival for the second time this season on Wednesday, as No. 5 USC posted a 6-1 victory over the Bruins at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Similar to USC's victory over UCLA at the ITA National Team Indoors in mid-February, the doubles point was fiercely contested on Wednesday, as an 8-5 Trojan victory at court No. 1 was quickly followed up by an 8-6 Bruin win at court No. 2. The doubles point was eventually decided at court No. 3, where USC's Peter Lucassen and Jaak Poldma edged Matt Brooklyn and Kallim Stewart, 8-6.
Things didn't look good for the Bruins early on in singles either, as USC (12-1) took the first set in five of six matches. The Trojans would go ahead 2-0 when Steve Johnson downed Holden Seguso, 6-2, 6-4 at court No. 2.
Nick Meister was the lone bright spot for UCLA (6-3) early on, as he cut the lead to 2-1 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Lucassen at court No. 5.
Despite forcing third sets in three of the matches that UCLA was trailing, the Bruins couldn't get another point on the day. Poldma downed Amit Inbar, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 at court No. 3, giving the Trojans a 3-1 advantage. Matt Kecki got the clincher at court No. 6, dispatching of Bruin freshman Maxime Tabatruong, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4.
UCLA, which still leads the all-time series with the Trojans 68-36, has dominated USC at home in recent years. In fact, Wednesday's Trojan win was their first at the Los Angeles Tennis Center since 1991.
Several UCLA doubles teams will be traveling to La Jolla, Calif. this week for the Pacific Coast Doubles Championships at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. UCLA's next dual match will be against Duke on Tuesday, March 9. That match is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
#5 USC 6, #6 UCLA 1 USC Wins Doubles Point
Mar 03, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #13 Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Abid/Seguso (UCLA) 8-5
2. Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. #40 Jason McNaughton/Nguyen (USC) 8-6
3. Lucassen/Poldma (USC) def. #57 Brooklyn/Kallim Stewart (UCLA) 8-6
1. #9 Robert Farah (USC) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. #3 Steve Johnson (USC) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
3. #93 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. #92 Amit Inbar (UCLA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. #116 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #76 Peter Lucassen (USC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Kecki (USC) def. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
USC 12-1; National ranking #5
UCLA 6-3; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,3,6,1,4)
USC Wins Doubles Point