No. 14 Stanford Takes Down No. 55 Saint Mary's, 6-1
March 4, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 14 Stanford cruised past No. 55 Saint Mary's 6-1 in a non-conference match on Thursday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal (8-1, 0-0 Pac-10) captured the doubles point and locked up wins at five of the six singles spots.
The Gaels (6-3, 2-0 WCC) registered their only point when Claire Soper defeated Carolyn McVeigh 7-5, 6-4 in the final match of the afternoon.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches, taking a 1-0 lead even with a shuffled lineup.
Hilary Barte tallied a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Catherine Isip at the No. 1 position to make it 2-0, Mallory Burdette followed with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Anna Chikhikvishvili at the No. 3 spot and Stacey Tan provided the clincher with a 6-4, 6-0 win against Alex Poorta on court two.
With the win, Stanford has now won 157 matches in a row (127 in the regular season) at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, recognized as the longest active home winning streak of any intercollegiate sport in NCAA Division I athletics. The last time the Cardinal lost a home match was back on Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Now the Cardinal focuses its attention on a matchup with No. 5 California in a non-counting Pac-10 match on Saturday afternoon in Berkeley. After that contest, Stanford will not return to the court until Mar. 21.
No. 14 Stanford 6, No. 55 Saint Mary's 1
1) No. 27 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Chikhikvishvili/Isip (SMC) 8-2
2) Barte/Yen (STAN) d. Poorta/Soper (SMC) 8-4
3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) d. Fisher/Nienke Strijbis (SMC) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 9 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Catherine Isip (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
2) No. 63 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Alex Poorta (SMC) 6-4, 6-0
3) No. 28 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Anna Chikhikvishvili (SMC) 6-2, 6-4
4) Claire Soper (SMC) d. No. 90 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 7-5, 6-4
5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Alisa Spitzer (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
6) Jennifer Yen (STAN) d. Sabina Gunnarsson (SMC) 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 6, 5, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive