Cougar Tennis Drops Pac-10 Opener to ASU, 5-2
March 5, 2010
PULLMAN, Wash. -- The Washington State University tennis team opened their Pacific-10 conference season with a 5-2 loss to No. 44 Arizona State, Friday, in their first outdoor match of the 2010 season. The Cougs move to 7-5 this spring, with each loss coming from a nationally ranked team.
Highlights of the day's matches included freshman Liudmila Vasilieva's impressive win over ASU's Nadia Abdala. No. 79 Vasilieva beat Abdala in two sets, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 1 spot. It is Vasilieva's eighth No. 1 dual match win this spring.
Freshman Andjela Kankaras earned the Cougars second win of the day against ASU's Hannah James, 4-6, 6-4, 10-1. Kankaras moved up to the No. 4 spot, after playing the beginning of the season at No. 5. With the win, Kankaras moved to 10-2 this spring.
ASU's Micaela Hein snapped sophomore Elisabeth Fournier's 11-match win streak with a 6-2, 7-5, win over Fournier. Fournier's 11-match win streak was the longest in the Cougar program since 2007 when Marjolein van de Ven won ten in a row.
In doubles play, the Sun Devils were too much for the Cougars. ASU swept the doubles with Lea Jansen and Fournier falling to Hein and Abdala, 8-2. Vasilieva and Kankaras lost to Kelcy McKenna and James, 8-2. At No. 3 doubles, Jessica Gomez and Ksenia Googe were defeated by ASU's Michelle Brycki and Nicole Smith.
The Cougars (7-5, 0-1 Pac-10) will look to rebound against the No. 39 Wildcats of Arizona, Saturday March 6. The match will begin at 11 a.m. and will be played at the WSU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY TENNIS
Arizona State 5, Washington State 2
March 5, 2010
WSU Outdoor Tennis Courts
1. No. 79 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) 6-2, 7-5
3. No. 104 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Hannah James (ASU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-1
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Lea Jansen (WSU) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 2, 3, 4
1. Hein/Abdala (ASU) def. Jansen/Fournier (WSU) 8-2
2. McKenna/James (ASU) def. Vasilieva/Kankaras (WSU) 8-2
3. Brycki/Smith (ASU) def. Gomez/Googe (WSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2