No. 12 USC Women Shut Out Oregon
March 5, 2010
EUGENE, ORE. - The No. 12 USC women's tennis team took a swing through its Pac-10 opener and served up a 7-0 sweep of host Oregon on Friday afternoon in Eugene, Ore. Playing on the Ducks' outdoor courts, the Women of Troy grabbed a quick doubles point and then got straight-set wins in all but one singles match to close out the shutout. USC improves to 8-4 overall and takes a 1-0 start to conference play with the win.
Doubles play got going with some newer pairings for the Trojans. Teamed up for the first time in dual match play was the #40 duo of Valeria Pulido / Maria Sanchez, who pounded out an 8-1 win over Smatova/du Toit at the No. 1 position. At No. 2 Sarah Fansler / Alison Ramos also joined forces for the first time since November, and the pair posted an 8-3 win to help clinch that first point for USC. At No. 3, Jennifer Goldman / Lyndsay Kinstler had their match suspended when the point was decided.
In singles it was a string of straight-set sweeps as USC got ahead 6-0 before Cristala Andrews closed things down on the 7-0 sweep with her 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 comeback in her first appearance in the No. 4 singles position. Also of note was Sarah Fansler's first dual-match singles win since being sidelined by injury, as the senior posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Emmanuelle Cor at the No. 5 slot. At No. 1, USC's #3 Maria Sanchez won her fourth straight match in a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Julia Metger. At No. 2, #21 Alison Ramos picked up a 6-0, 7-5 win over Trudie de Toit, while #91 Valeria Pulido played her first match at the No. 3 position and tallied a 6-3, 7-5 win over Pavlina Smatova for the freshman's fourth straight win. In the No. 6 match, Lyndsay Kinstler cruised past Sabine Fuchs 6-4, 6-3, and USC had its first conference win of the year in-hand.
The Women of Troy now return to Marks Stadium for a rematch with Baylor. The Bears beat USC 5-2 at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships last month, but the Trojans get to host this one in a 1:30 p.m. start on Tuesday (March 9).
#12 USC 7, Oregon 0
March 5, 2010 - Eugene, Ore.
(1) #40 Pulido/Sanchez (USC) def. Smatova/du Toit (ORE) - 8-1
(2) Fansler/Ramos (USC) def. Metzger/Fuchs (ORE) - 8-3
(3) Goldman/Kinstler (USC) vs. Cor/Skowronski (ORE) - 5-5 susp.
(1) #3 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Julia Metger (ORE) - 6-1, 6-2
(2) #21 Alison Ramos (USC) def. Trudie du Toit (ORE) - 6-0, 7-5
(3) #91 Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Pavlina Smatova (ORE) - 6-3, 7-5
(4) Cristala Andrews (USC) def. Patricia Skowronski (ORE) - 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
(5) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Emmanuelle Cor (ORE) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Sabine Fuchs (ORE) - 6-4, 6-3