No. 9 Baylor Upsets Second-Ranked Bruins, 4-3
March 10, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The second-ranked UCLA women's tennis team was beaten for just the second time this season on Wednesday, as No. 9 Baylor pulled off a narrow 4-3 upset over the Bruins in a non-conference match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins' record moves to 14-2 on the season, while the Bears improve to 10-2 overall.
UCLA thoroughly dominated Baylor in doubles on Wednesday, losing a total of two games at court Nos. 1 and 2 to take the point. Fourth-ranked Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack would clinch it at court No. 1, cruising to an 8-1 victory over 11th-ranked Csilla Borsanyi and Lenka Broosova.
As lopsided as doubles play was, Baylor, to its credit, didn't back down. In fact the Bears would move out to early leads on nearly every singles court, eventually taking three first sets.
Baylor evened the match at one apiece when Karolina Filipiak downed Bruin freshman Stephanie Hoffpauir, 6-0, 6-4 at court No. 5.
Although a straight-set victory by UCLA's Maya Johansson gave the Bruins a 2-1 advantage, things were beginning to swing Baylor's way. Wins by Nina Secerbegovic (court No. 2) and Broosova (court No. 1) would give the Bears a 3-2 lead.
All the attention then moved to court No. 3, where Baylor's Taylor Ormond was up a break late in the third set against Bruin junior Noelle Hickey. Serving for the match up 5-3, Ormond was able to hold serve and give the Bears a 4-2 lead and the victory.
With the match already decided, freshman Pamela Montez downed Borsanyi, 6-2, 7-5 for the Bruins' third point of the day.
UCLA will not be in action again until it hosts Washington State on March 26.
#9 Baylor 4, #2 UCLA 3 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Mar 10, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #4 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. #11 Borsanyi/Broosova (BAY) 8-1
2. Hickey/Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Filipiak/Ormond (BAY) 8-1
3. Secerbegovic/Jelena Stanivuk (BAY) def. Montez/Carling Seguso (UCLA) 8-6
1. #8 Lenka Broosova (BAY) def. #5 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. #41 Nina Secerbegovic (BAY) def. #34 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 6-3, 6-1
3. #98 Taylor Ormond (BAY) def. #37 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. #124 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #53 Csilla Borsanyi (BAY) 6-2, 7-5
5. Karolina Filipiak (BAY) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) 6-0, 6-4
6. Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Carla Lindlar (BAY) 6-2, 6-4
Baylor 10-2; National ranking #9
UCLA 14-2; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,2,1,3,4)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point