No. 16 Baylor Edges No. 8 UCLA, 4-3
March 11, 2010
LOS ANGELES - Two days after edging Duke 4-3, the eighth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team found itself on the other end of a close decision on Thursday, as No. 16 Baylor registered a 4-3 victory over the Bruins at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Although UCLA (7-4) managed to win the doubles point, Baylor (11-2) fought back to take four of six singles matches.
With the dual match tied at 2-2, Baylor owned leads at two of the three remaining courts. The Bears eventually went ahead 3-2 when 28th-ranked Jordan Rux downed 50th-ranked Matt Brooklyn, 6-4, 7-5 at court No. 2.
Rux's victory meant that the Bruins needed to win both remaining singles matches to pull off the victory. Although Bruin junior Nick Meister was up a break over Attila Bucko in the third set at court No. 3, the match was decided at the No. 6 spot, where Baylor's Julian Bley edged UCLA freshman Maxime Tabatruong, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Bley actually owned a 5-0 lead in the third set of that match before Tabatruong fought back to win four straight games and get back on serve. Bley, however, broke Tabatruong to take the third set 6-4.
With the match already decided, Meister downed Bucko, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 for UCLA's third point of the day.
UCLA's next match will be a home contest against Wichita State on March 23 at 1:00 p.m.
#16 Baylor 4, #8 UCLA 3 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Mar 11, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Abid/Seguso (UCLA) def. #17 Maros Horny/Rux (BAY) 8-5
2. Lukacs/Maytin (BAY) def. Inbar/ Meister (UCLA) 8-5
3. Alex Brigham/Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #45 Bley/Bucko (BAY) 8-6
1. #22 Denes Lukacs (BAY) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
2. #28 Jordan Rux (BAY) def. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) 6-4, 7-5
3. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Attila Bucko (BAY) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Dominik Mueller (BAY) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3
5. #92 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Roberto Maytin (BAY) 6-0, 7-5
6. Julian Bley (BAY) def. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
Baylor 11-2; National ranking #16
UCLA 7-4; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,4,2,6,3)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive