Women's Tennis Blanks Oregon to Win Fifth Straight
March 12, 2010
The Arizona State women's tennis team blanked Oregon 7-0 for their third straight Pac-10 win and fifth straight overall. The Sun Devils, who were also flawless against Memphis on Wednesday, improved to 8-2 (3-0 Pac-10).
'We really played well today,' said 26th year head coach Sheila McInerney. 'The intensity and energy was the best I have seen all year.'
The doubles teams got the match off to a solid start as all three ASU teams won to earn the doubles point. The duo of Michelle Brycki and Nicole Smith were the first ones off the court as they earned an 8-2 win over Emmanuelle Cor and Patricia Skowronski on court three. Micaela Hein and Nadia Abdala continue to prove to be a strong team as they picked up an 8-3 win over Pavlina Smatova and Trudie du Toit in the No. 1 slot. Kelcy McKenna teamed up with Ashlee Brown for the first time in dual play this season and the two defeated Julia Metzger and Sabine Fuchs 8-4.
'The intensity in doubles carried over to singles,' said McInerney. 'We got off to a good start and kept it going. I have no complaints.'
Singles certainly did carry the momentum over from doubles as only one match went into a match-breaker. Freshman Hannah James was the first off the court after not allowing Skowronski to win a single game as she won 6-0, 6-0. Currently perfect in dual match play, Brycki picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win over Cor on court five. Senior Abdala handed du Toit a 6-0, 6-3 loss on court No. 2 to clinch the match.
In the No. 3 position, McKenna defeated Smatova 6-3, 6-3. Sianna Simmons also won in straight sets as she earned a 6-4, 6-2 win over Fuchs. Hein won the match-breaker on court one to earn a 6-1, 4-6, 10-3 victory over Metzger.
The Sun Devils host USC tomorrow at noon. They will also partner with the USTA for Campus Kids Day.
1. Hein/Abdala (ASU) def. Smatova/du Toit (UO) 8-3
2. Brown/McKenna (ASU) def. Metzger/Fuchs (UO) 8-4
3. Brycki/Smith (ASU) def. Cor/Skowronski (UO) 8-2
1. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Julia Metzger (UO) 6-1, 4-6, 10-3
2. Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Trudie du Toit (UO) 6-0, 6-3
3. Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Pavlina Smatova (UO) 6-3, 6-3
4. Hannah James (ASU) def. Patricia Skowronski (UO) 6-0, 6-0
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Emmanuelle Cor (UO) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Sabine Fuchs (UO) 6-4, 6-2