No. 60 Cougars Lose Close One to Cal State Northridge, 4-3
March 16, 2010
SAN DIEGO - The No. 60 Washington State University women's tennis team fell 4-3 Tuesday against California State University Northridge. It was the Cougars first match this season as a nationally ranked team.
The Cal State Northridge Matadors began the day with a sweep of the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead.
In singles, Liudmila Vasilieva tied up the match 1-1, with a win over Brooke Doane, 6-2, 6-1. Elisabeth Fournier's 6-2, 6-4 victory over Nina Jaworowski gave the Cougs a 2-1 lead. After the Matadors tied up the match 2-2, Ksenia Googe earned a win over Whitney Paluch, 6-2, 6-3.
The Matadors claimed the last two singles matches, despite Marina Nicolas taking her opponent to three sets and five match points ultimately losing 7-6 in the third set.
The Cougars hope for a little luck when they return to the court March 17 against the University of San Diego. Match time is set for 1:30 p.m.
CSUN 4, No. 60 Washington State 3March 16, 2010San Diego, Calif.
1. Brooke Doane and Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Lea Jansen and Marina Nicolas (WSU) 8-4
2. Nina Jaworowski and Whitney Paluch def. Liudmila Vasilieva and Ksenia Googe (WSU) 8-3
3. Maria Pistalu and Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Elisabeth Fournier and Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Doane (CSUN): 6-2, 6-1
2. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Jaworowski (CSUN): 6-2, 6-4
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Paluch (CSUN): 6-2, 6-3
4. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU): 6-4, 6-3
5. Yang (CSUN) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-0, 0-6, 7-6 (5)
6. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU): 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,3,5,6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/21 | 6:00pm PTLive