Track Competes at Oregon Preview
March 20, 2010
EUGENE, Ore. - The Oregon State women's track team competed Saturday at the Oregon Preview at Heyward Field in Eugene, Ore.
'Overall it was a good day for a bunch of our girls,' Oregon State women's track head coach Kelly Sullivan said. 'It was the first time out this spring for a lot of people and it was a good first showing.
Redshirt sophomore Laura Carlyle (Kelowna, B.C.) finished sixth overall in the 1,500 meter run Saturday with a personal best time of 4:30.58 which moves her into seventh all-time at Oregon State in the event. Junior Abby Chesimet (Astoria, Ore.) finished second in section two of the 1,500 meter run and 13th overall with a time of 4:40.62
Freshman Taylor Hunt (Tigard, Ore.), in her collegiate track debut, won the section 2 running of the 800 meter run with a time of 2:18.58. Her time was good enough for an eighth place finish overall. Ashley Berry (Medford, Ore.) ran a time of 2:20.78 and Kristin Oenning (Sherwood, Ore.) finished with a time of 2:25.35 in the 800 meter.
Redshirt senior Sylvia Veal (Aloha, Ore.) finished fifth in the 3,000 meter run Saturday with a time of 10:01.70 which places her ninth all-time at Oregon State for the event. Jennifer Macias (Hermiston, Ore.) finished right behind Veal in sixth with a time of 10:03.30 which places her 10th all-time at Oregon State.
The team of Ashley Berry, Lauren Graebner, Kristin Oenning, and Taylor Hunt ran for the first time this season the 4x400 meter relay and finish eighth with a time of 4:15.17.
Oregon State football student-athlete Obum Gwacham won the high jump with a height of 7'-1.75' which is a provisional qualifying height for the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track Championships at Heyward Field June 9-12.
Oregon State will hit the track next week at the Stanford Invitational March 26-27 in Stanford, Calif.
1,500 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Kipyego, Sally, (O.T.C. Elite) 4:10.71*; 2. Buckman, Zoe (Oregon) 4:12.80; 3. Woodvine, Andrea (Unattached) 4:23.49; 4. Friday, Becca (Oregon) 4:27.23; 5. Johnson, Lauren (Club 185 Striders) 4:28.74; 6. Carlyle, Laura (Oregon State) 4:30.58; 13. Chesimet, Abby (Oregon State) 4:40.62.
800 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Steinbeck, Chloe (Oregon) 2:11.18; 2. McMahon, Emily (Eugene H & P) 2:11.55; 3. Larson, Jane (Seattle Pacific) 2:11.75; 4. Baker, Keshia (Oregon) 2:12.54; 5. Henderson, Brittany (Clark College) 2:13.30; 8. Hunt, Taylor (Oregon State) 2:18.58; 12. Berry, Ashley (Oregon State) 2:20.78; 18. Oenning, Kristin (Oregon State) 2:25.35.
3,000 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Zaludek, Lauren (Oregon) 9:37.71; 2. Lucas, Julia (O.T.C. Elite) 9:44.45; 3. Tegelaar, Marit (Portland) 9:49.64; 4. Crossman, Bronwyn (Oregon) 9:58.55; 5. Veal, Sylvia (Oregon State) 10:01.70; 6. Macias, Jennifer (Oregon State) 10:03.30; 7. Martinez, Sandra (Oregon State) 10:03.49; 13. Soza-Hodgkinson, Hannah (Oregon State) 10:26.46; 15. Poblacion, Olivia (Oregon State) 10:28.94; 23. Olsen, Emily (Oregon State) 10:43.36; 26. Clark, Ariel (Oregon State) 10:59.76; 27. Corredor, Joslynn (Oregon State) 11:11.02.
4x400 Meter Relay (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Oregon, 3:51.12; 2. Portland State, 3:56.15; 3. Seattle Pacific, 4:02.61; 4. Western Oregon, 4:03.54; 5. Portland, 4:05.89; 8. Oregon State (Ashley Berry, Lauren Graebner, Kristin Oenning, Taylor Hunt) 4:15.17.
High Jump (Top Five)
1. Gwacham, Obum (Oregon State) 7'-01.75'; 2. Klech, David (Oregon) 6'-09.50'; 2. Marconi, Danny (Oregon) 6'-09.50'; 4. Johnson, Kyley (Bowerman AC) 6'-09.50'; 5. Tufa, Amin (Oregon) 6'-05.50.'
Support Oregon State University Athletics by making your tax deductible donation to the Beaver Athletic Student Fund. For more information follow this link or call 541-737-2370. You can make an 'Everyday Champion' Follow Beaver Athletics on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive