Bruins Down Shockers 7-0 in Men's Tennis
March 23, 2010
LOS ANGELES - Playing its first match in nearly two weeks, the No. 12 UCLA men's tennis team was still able to pull off the shutout over Wichita State on Tuesday afternoon, recording a 7-0 victory over the Shockers at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Junior Nick Meister made the most of his first-ever match at the No. 1 singles position on Tuesday, as he turned in the most impressive result of the day by beating Sven Kasper, 6-1, 6-1. The only other straight-set singles winner for the Bruins on the day was Meister's doubles partner Amit Inbar, who downed Valentin Mihai, 6-3, 6-2 at court No. 3.
Although Wichita State (8-6) was able to extend the four remaining matches to three sets, UCLA (8-4) ultimately prevailed in each contest.
The Bruins cruised in doubles play, sweeping all three matches to take the point.
UCLA opens up Pac-10 play this Friday in Seattle, facing Washington at 1:30 p.m.
#12 UCLA 7, Wichita State 0
Mar 23, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #62 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. Kasper/Mihai (WSU) 8-2
2. Brigham/Seguso (UCLA) def. Chermaci/Marinescu (WSU) 8-1
3. Brooklyn/Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Cavalcanti/Pereira (WSU) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Singles 1. #111 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Sven Kasper (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Vlad Marinescu (WSU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. #108 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Valentin Mihai (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Adrian Chermaci (WSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. David Cavalcanti (WSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
6. Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Matheus Pereira (WSU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
Wichita State 8-6
UCLA 8-4; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,4,5,2,6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive