Huskies Undone By Bruins In Pac-10 Opener
March 26, 2010
SEATTLE - The ball just wasn't bouncing the right way for the 21st-ranked Husky men's tennis team today in their Pac-10 opener, as 12th-ranked UCLA came in and upended the Huskies 7-0 at the Bill Quillian Stadium. Washington (15-2, 0-1 Pac-10) had its ten match winning streak snapped by the defending Pac-10 Champion Bruins (9-4, 1-0 Pac-10).
The Bruins swept the doubles point and followed it up with first set wins in each of the six singles matches, though only one set was decided by more than one break of serve. UCLA took a 2-0 lead with 108th-ranked Amit Inbar beat freshman Kyle McMorrow, 6-4, 6-3, at second singles. The Bruins won by the same score at third singles, where 50th-ranked Matt Brooklyn defeated senior Derek Drabble. The match was clinched at No. 5 singles, where UCLA's Max Tabatruong bested junior Tobi Obenaus, 6-4, 6-1.
From there the Huskies showed a lot of heart in extending the final three matches, but all three wound up in UCLA's favor. At No. 1 singles, junior Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan came back from a first set loss to win a second set tiebreak against Nick Meister, but in the ensuing third set super-tiebreak, Meister won the final three points to pull out a 6-4, 6-7, (10-8) victory. Junior Martin Kildahl had a first set tiebreak loss but rebounded with a 6-2 second set win over Holden Seguso, yet in another super-tiebreak, Seguso prevailed 10-3.
The No. 6 singles match went the full three sets, but UCLA's Alex Brigham pulled away late for a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 win over junior Alex Rosinski.
Washington will look to regroup in a hurry and avoid consecutive losses for the first time this year, but they will have another major test in 5th-ranked USC tomorrow at 1 p.m. back outdoors on the Quillian Stadium courts.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 26, 2010 - Seattle, Wash.
Bill Quillian Stadium
No. 12 UCLA 7, No. 21 Washington 0
1) Meister/Inbar (UCLA) def. Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow (UW), 8-6
2) Seguso/Brigham (UCLA) def. Drabble/Kildahl (UW), 8-6
3) Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) def. (69) Obenaus/Rosinski (UW), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1) (111) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. (54) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 6-4, 6-7 (2), (10-8)
2) (108) Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Kyle McMorrow (UW), 6-4, 6-3
3) (50) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-4, 6-3
4) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Martin Kildahl (UW), 7-6, 2-6, (10-3)
5) Max Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Tobi Obenaus (UW), 6-4, 6-1
6) Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Alex Rosinski (UW), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 4, 6, 1