No. 5 USC Men Deliver 7-0 Sweep of Ducks
March 26, 2010
EUGENE, ORE. - The No. 5 USC men's tennis team kicked off Pac-10 play with a resounding road win on Friday, serving up a 7-0 sweep of host No. 67 Oregon in Eugene. With the doubles point pocketed, the Trojans rolled through four straight-set singles wins to secure the win before the last two matches went to the Trojans in tiebreaks. USC improves to 15-2 overall and has a 1-0 start in Pac-10 action with today's win.
USC took its first step forward by pulling out the doubles point, as Steve Johnson / JT Sundling paired up at the No. 2 slot for an 8-3 win to start. At No. 1, USC's #48 Jason McNaughton / Daniel Nguyen took an 8-5 loss to even the score, but Trojan duo #39 Peter Lucassen / Jaak Poldma pulled through to claim the point for USC with an 8-4 win at the No. 3 slot.
In singles, #84 Peter Lucassen went up first, claiming his first set, with fellow Trojans JT Sundling, Daniel Nguyen and Steve Johnson following suit for some USC momentum in the singles action. Spurred on, the Trojans got ahead 2-0 with freshman Sundling's lopsided 6-1, 6-0 win over Duncan McDonald-Korth on court six. #89 Nguyen followed with a similarly powerful win, topping Ric Mortera 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3. The clincher came from Lucassen as he delivered a 6-2, 6-3 win over Nico Bjerke to get USC ahead 4-0. Joining the straight-set victory club was #1 Johnson next, as he went up against #91 Alex Cornelissen and pinned up a 6-2, 6-3 win for USC.
That left two matches extending into splits to bring up third-set tiebreakers on court two and court five. #72 Jaak Poldma pulled off his win with a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7) comeback at No. 2 over Marcos Verdasco to make it 6-0 USC. And wrapping up the action in Eugene on the Ducks' indoor courts was Jason McNaughton, who edged out Jose Izquierdo 7-6 (4), 2-6, 1-0 (11-9) at the No. 5 slot.
USC now turns to visit No. 21 Washington in another Pac-10 match tomorrow (March 27) at 1 p.m. in Seattle, Wash.
#5 USC 7, #67 Oregon 0
March 26, 2010 - Eugene, Ore.
(1) Cornelissen/Verdasco (ORE) def. #48 McNaughton/Nguyen (USC) - 8-5
(2) Johnson/Sundling (USC) def. Bjerke/Mortera (ORE) - 8-3
(3) #49 Lucassen/Poldma (USC) def. Clissold/Izquierdo (ORE) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #1 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #91 Alex Cornelissen (ORE) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) #72 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Marcos Verdasco (ORE) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
(3) #89 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Ric Mortera (ORE) - 6-2, 6-0
(4) #84 Peter Lucassen (USC) def. Nico Bjerke (ORE) - 6-2, 6-3*
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Jose Izquierdo (ORE) - 7-6 (4), 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
(6) #119 JT Sundling (USC) def. Duncan McDonald-Korth (ORE) - 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4*, 1, 2, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
Tue 2/21 | 12:00pm PTLive