No. 55 Arizona swept by No. 10 California
March 26, 2010
TUCSON--The No. 55 Arizona women's tennis team lost 7-0 to No. 10 California Friday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
Arizona (10-5, 1-3 Pac-10) started off with a loss of the doubles point to the Bears (13-3, 1-0 Pac-10). In the No. 1 position, sophomore Sarah Landsman and junior Jane Huh lost to Cal's No. 6 ranked duo of Mari Anderson and Jana Juricova 8-3. In the No. 3 position, sophomores Natasha Marks and Debora Castany also lost 8-3 to Annie Goransson and Stephany Chang.
In singles, the Bears continued to dominate. On court four, senior Natalia Toporowska lost the first set to Annie Goransson 1-6. In the second set, Toporowska kept it close, but lost 4-6.
On court five, Huh dropped set one 2-6 to Chang, but rallied back from a 2-5 deficit in the second set. The junior was unable to come out on top in the tiebreak, losing 5-7.
Senior Claire Rietsch played hard on court three against Kasia Siwoz, sending both sets into tiebreaker in her 6-7, 6-7 loss.
'The team battled hard today but Cal just proved too strong.' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'We tried some different doubles today, gave Debora and Jane the opportunity to play, and everyone responded. Obviously, these changes require some time to improve, but I'm thrilled with everyone's effort.'
Up next, the Wildcats will host No. 12 Stanford at noon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. No. 6 Anderson/Juricova CAL def. Landsman/Huh UA 8-3
2. Siwoz/Davis CAL def. Rietsch/Toporowska UA 8-4
3. Goransson/Chang CAL def. Marks/Castany UA 8-3
1. No. 2 Juricova CAL def. No. 93 Marks UA6-2, 6-2
2. No. 50 Anderson CAL def. Landsman UA 6-1, 6-1
3. Siwosz CAL def. Rietsch UA 7-6, 7-6
4. Goransson CAL def. Toporowska UA 6-1, 6-4
5. Davis CAL def. Castany UA 6-0, 6-3
6. Chang CAL def. Huh UA 6-2, 7-5
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive