No. 5 USC Men Wrap Up Washington 6-1
March 27, 2010
SEATTLE -- The No. 5 USC men's tennis team picked up another Pac-10 road win today with a run through host No. 21 Washington as the Trojans pinned up a 6-1 win over the Huskies on Saturday in Seattle. A doubles sweep led to a string of straight-set singles wins to get USC ahead of Washington and on to victory. USC improves to 16-2 overall with the win and goes to 2-0 in Pac-10 play.
USC flexed some doubles muscle to start the day as #49 Lucassen/Poldma pounded out an 8-2 win over #69 Obernaus/Rosinski at the No. 3 position. At No. 2, Nguyen/Sundling skipped past Drabble/Kildahl 8-4 to clinch the point. At No. 1, USC's #14 Farah/Johnson fought through to an 8-6 win over Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow, and it was on to singles action with the Trojans holding a 1-0 lead.
In singles, #89 Daniel Nguyen kicked out to the sophomore's eighth straight win as he tacked up a 6-3, 6-1 win over Martin Kildahl at the No. 4 slot. #72 Jaak Poldma was the next to pin up a straight-set win with his smooth 6-3, 6-4 win over Derek Drabble on court three. Hustling to clinch things was #11 Robert Farah, who served up a tiebreak win in the second set to claim a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over Kyle McMorrow to notch USC's fourth point of the match. Soon after, #1 Steve Johnson worked past #54 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 6-4, 6-4, lifting the Trojans ahead 5-0 on court one.
Going strong on court six was senior Jason McNaughton, whose 6-3, 6-4 decision over Alex Ronsinski put USC ahead 6-0 with one match still going. At No. 5, USC's #85 Peter Lucassen and UW's Tobi Obenaus went to a 10-point tiebreak to decide the third set after Obernaus managed a tiebreak win in the second. Obenaus got ahead in the 10-point tiebreak before Lucassen was issued two code violations to wind up with the loss.
USC now turns to continue Pac-10 play at home as the Trojans return to Marks Stadium to face Stanford at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (April 2) and then Cal at 1 p.m. on Saturday (April 3).
#5 USC 6, #21 Washington 1
(1) #14 Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow (UW) - 8-6
(2) Nguyen/Sundling (USC) def. Drabble/Kildahl (UW) - 8-4
(3) #49 Lucassen/Poldma (USC) def. #69 Obenaus/Rosinski (UW) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1) #1 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #54 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) - 6-4, 6-4
2) #11 Robert Farah (USC) def. Kyle McMorrow (UW) - 6-3, 7-6 (5)*
3) #72 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Derek Drabble (UW) - 6-3, 6-4
4) #89 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Martin Kildahl (UW) - 6-3, 6-1
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. #84 Peter Lucassen (USC) - 5-7, 7-6 (2), 1-0 (6-1 [game penalty])
6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Alex Rosinski (UW) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2*, 1, 6, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 7:00pm PTLive