Clayton's Three-Setter Lifts No. 7 Stanford To 4-3 Win At No. 9 UCLA
April 3, 2010
LOS ANGELES, Calif.- Alex Clayton shook off his recent struggles and lifted No. 7 Stanford to a crucial 4-3 road win over No. 9 UCLA on Saturday afternoon.
Clayton snapped a four-match losing streak with his first victory since Mar. 23, outlasting Amit Inbar 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 at the No. 2 position to provide the clincher for Stanford (12-5, 2-1 Pac-10), which earned a split on its Southern California road swing.
Clayton's victory held off a late UCLA push, as Stanford had built leads of 1-0 and 3-1 before the Bruin comeback.
The Bruins (12-5, 3-1 Pac-10) entered the afternoon as one of two undefeated teams in the conference, joining USC. The earlier matchup in late February between Stanford and UCLA was cancelled due to rain.
Bradley Klahn made quick work of Nick Meister in a battle at the top of the lineup, prevailing 6-3, 6-3 to put Stanford in front 2-0.
UCLA bounced back and cut the lead to 2-1 when Kallim Stewart downed Richard Wire 7-6, 6-1 on court four.
Hirshman's 6-4, 6-4 win over Alex Brigham at the No. 6 position extended Stanford's lead to 3-1 with three matches remaining.
The Bruins continued to hang close, posting wins at the Nos. 5 and 3 spots, respectively, knotting the match at 3-3.
The result would come down to court two, where Clayton had captured the first set 6-4 before Inbar took the second frame 6-2. Clayton then edged Inbar 7-5 in the third set to officially secure the match.
Stanford has six matches remaining in the regular season, with the next five to be played at home.
No. 7 Stanford 4, No. 9 UCLA 3
1) No. 41 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) d. No. 1 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) 8-4
2) No. 31 Clayton/Wire (STAN) d. Brigham/Tabatruong (UCLA) 8-0
3) Hirshman/Kandath (STAN) d. Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 5 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Nick Meister (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 45 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Amit Inbar (UCLA) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) d. No. 93 Ryan Thacher (STAN) 7-6, 7-6
4) Kallim Stewart (UCLA) d. Richard Wire (STAN) 7-6, 6-1
5) Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) d. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Alex Brigham (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive