Doubles Sweep, Bottom Of Lineup Powers No. 12 Stanford Past No. 7 UCLA 5-2
April 3, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 12 Stanford blazed past No. 7 UCLA 5-2 on Saturday afternoon, continuing its season-best winning streak while avenging its only loss of the year in convincing fashion.
In perhaps its sharpest and most efficient performance of the year, Stanford (14-1, 3-0 Pac-10) wasted little time in jumping on UCLA thanks to a doubles sweep and strong singles play at the bottom of the lineup.
Saturday's result was an exact opposite of the 6-1 defeat suffered to UCLA back on Feb. 26 in Los Angeles. However, that match did not count in the conference standings.
UCLA (16-3, 3-1 Pac-10) entered the week as the favorite to claim the Pac-10 regular season title. But now Stanford has emerged as a serious threat, and a victory tomorrow over No. 18 USC in a resumption of Friday's suspended match will bring the Cardinal one step closer to winning the conference.
With the victory over the Bruins, Stanford extended its NCAA-record home winning streak to 159 matches in a row (129 in the regular season). The Cardinal has not lost a home match since Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
The Cardinal has also now won seven straight matches.
Stanford bolted out to a 1-0 lead, sweeping all three doubles matches. The tone was set when the nation's second-ranked duo of Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette topped the country's fourth-ranked tandem of Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack 8-4.
Then the singles onslaught began.
Mallory Burdette picked up her team-leading 25th win of the year, defeating Pamela Montez 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot.
Veronica Li followed by putting Stanford in front 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Maya Johansson on court six.
UCLA finally got on the board when Noelle Hickey slipped past Lindsay Burdette 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 2 position, giving the Bruins a glimmer of hope with a 3-1 deficit.
But Carolyn McVeigh locked up a 6-4, 6-3 win over Stephanie Hoffpauir at the No. 5 spot to clinch the match.
No. 12 Stanford 5, No. 7 UCLA 2
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. No. 4 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) 8-4
2) No. 34 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Hickey/Pantic (UCLA) 9-7
3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) d. Montez/Carling Seguso (UCLA) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 8 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 5 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
2) No. 43 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) d. No. 61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
3) No. 31 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) d. No. 69 Stacey Tan (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4) No. 36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-1, 6-3
5) No. 109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3
6) Veronice Li (STAN) d. Maya Johansson (UCLA) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive