USC Women Stuck In 3-3 Draw With Stanford
April 4, 2010
PALO ALTO, CALIF. -- Sunday's match between No. 12 Stanford and No. 18 USC was suspended due to rain, with the score knotted at 3-3 and the doubles competition yet to begin. USC's #2-ranked Maria Sanchez outlasted a tough #8 Hilary Barte, avenging an earlier loss to the Stanford junior with a 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6) win that snarled the match at 3-3.
The USC-Stanford match will be resumed at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., later this month, but only if the result is needed to decide the conference champion. Stanford remains at 14-1 overall and 3-0 in the Pac-10 while USC is still 11-7 overall and 3-1 in league play.
The teams were originally scheduled to face off on Friday afternoon, but the match was postponed until Sunday due to rain. In fact, the singles competition was played first but only five of the six matches managed to complete one game in the first set.
Stanford and USC were also rained out on Feb. 27 in Los Angeles.
The Cardinal put two singles wins in the books early on, with Veronica Li and Mallory Burdette collecting wins at the Nos. 6 and 4 spots. Li beat USC's Lyndsay Kinstler 6-1, 6-1 while #36 Burdette posted a 6-1, 6-3 victory over #103 freshman Valeria Pulido
But USC tied the match at 2-2, receiving a 6-3, 6-3 from #26 Alison Ramos over #61 Lindsay Burdette on court two before USC's #30 freshman Danielle Lao posted a gutsy 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 comeback win at the No. 3 position over #69 Stacy Tan.
In a battle on court four, Stanford's #109 Carolyn McVeigh managed to pull out a 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 victory over USC's Sarah Fansler, as Stanford got back on top 3-2, needing just one more point to secure the match.
#8 Hilary Barte and #2 Maria Sanchez had split sets at the No. 1 spot before rain began to fall again during their third set. The match was moved indoors, with Sanchez prevailing in a tiebreaker 8-6 to claim the win and even the score at 3-3 with the Trojan junior's 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6) victory.
USC now returns home to Marks Stadium for Pac-10 matches against the Arizona schools. The Trojans will first host Arizona State at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (April 9) before taking on Arizona in a 12 p.m. match on Saturday (April 10).
#18 USC 3, #12 Stanford 3
April 4, 2010 - Palo Alto, Calif.
(1) #2 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. #8 Hilary Barte (STAN) - 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6)
(2) #26 Alison Ramos (USC) def. #61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) #30 Danielle Lao (USC) def. #69 Stacy Tan (STAN) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
(4) #36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. #103 Valeria Pulido (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) #109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
(6) Veronica Li (STAN) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1
DOUBLES - not played due to weather
(1) #46 Lao/Sanchez (USC) vs. #2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) - susp.
(2) Pulido/Ramos (USC) vs. #34 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) - susp.
(3) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) vs. Li/McVeigh (STAN) - susp.