No. 8 Women's Tennis Edges No. 21 ASU, 4-3
April 10, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The eighth-ranked UCLA women's tennis team made it a weekend sweep over the Arizona schools on Saturday, posting a 4-3 victory over No. 21 Arizona State at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who also defeated Arizona, 7-0 on Friday, up their record to 18-3 overall and 5-1 in the Pac-10. With the loss, the Sun Devils fall to 12-5 and 4-3 in conference play.
After winning the doubles point, UCLA received straight-set singles wins from Andrea Remynse (court No. 3) and Stephanie Hoffpauir (court No. 6) to come within a point of clinching and take a 3-0 lead in the match. The bad news for UCLA, however, was that ASU had taken the first set on four of six courts, and the Sun Devils were able to capture the next two matches to take a 3-2 lead. Kelcy McKenna, ranked 80th in the nation, upset 43rd-ranked Noelle Hickey, 7-6(6), 6-4 at court No. 2, while unranked Micaela Hein stunned fifth-ranked Yasmin Schnack, 6-4, 7-6(3).
Suddenly, UCLA found itself needing a comeback win from either Maya Johansson at court No. 5 or Pamela Montez at court No. 4 to pull off the victory. Johansson, who dropped the first set to Sianna Simmons, was able to give UCLA what it needed, as she cruised in the third set for an eventual 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 win to clinch the match for the Bruins.
With the match already decided, Montez lost to Michelle Brycki, 7-6(4), 3-6, 7-6(4) to make it a 4-3 final.
UCLA rounds out the regular season at home next week, hosting No. 17 USC on Friday at 1:30 p.m. Bruin players will be wearing pink for breast cancer awareness. There will also be a special senior ceremony for Schnack, who will be appearing in her final regular season home match for UCLA.
#8 UCLA 4, #21 Arizona State 3 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Apr 10, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #4 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Hein/McKenna (ASU) 8-5
2. Hickey/Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Brown/Simmons (ASU) 8-5
3. Brycki/James (ASU) def. Montez/Carling Seguso (UCLA) 9-8 (7-4)
1. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. #5 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. #80 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. #43 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
3. #31 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Hannah James (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Pamela Montez (UCLA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
Arizona State 12-5; 4-3 Pac-10; National ranking #21
UCLA 18-3; 5-1 Pac-10; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,2,1,5,4)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point