USC Women Fall To Stanford In Deciding Doubles
April 21, 2010
OJAI, CALIF. - Almost three weeks after the No. 18 USC women's tennis team began its Pac-10 dual match against Stanford, the Trojans and the Cardinal played out the deciding point today in Ojai, Calif., with Stanford winning the doubles point to snag the conference win. The Women of Troy and the Cardinal had been tied 3-3 in their match at the close of singles play, and since the match result weighed into the Pac-10's determination of a conference champion, the teams wrapped up their match in advance of the Pac-10 Championships, which begin tomorrow in Ojai.
USC and Stanford kept their doubles pairings intact from their April 4 lineups, and rankings also were to be considered the same as they were at that juncture. As the teams squared off against today on the courts of Ojai, Stanford held the advantage. The Trojans' momentum gained from their singles comeback to tie the match 3-3 weeks ago was too far removed, and the Cardinal took control in doubles play. At the No. 3 doubles position, Stanford struck first with an 8-2 win by Li/McVeigh over USC's Fansler/Kinstler. The deciding win came on court one, as Stanford's Barte/L. Burdette topped USC's Lao/Sanchez by the same score to clinch victory. The No. 2 match finished as an 8-3 Stanford win taken by M. Burdette/Tan over USC's Pulido/Ramos.
That puts the official close to the regular season for the No. 18 Women of Troy, who move to 13-9 overall and finish Pac-10 play with a 5-3 record. Stanford finishes undefeated in Pac-10 play to claim the Pac-10 crown. USC will await seedings for the NCAA Team Championships to begin on May 14. In the meantime, it's time for individual singles and doubles competition to start up in Ojai as the Pac-10 Championships begin tomorrow and run April 22-25.
FINAL USC-STANFORD DUAL MATCH RESULTS
#12 Stanford 4, #18 USC 3
SINGLES - April 4, 2010 - Palo Alto, Calif.
(1) #2 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. #8 Hilary Barte (STAN) - 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6)
(2) #26 Alison Ramos (USC) def. #61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) #30 Danielle Lao (USC) def. #69 Stacy Tan (STAN) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
(4) #36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. #103 Valeria Pulido (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) #109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
(6) Veronica Li (STAN) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1
DOUBLES - completed April 21, 2010 (Ojai, Calif.)
(1) #2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) def. #46 Lao/Sanchez (USC) - 8-2
(2) #34 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) def. Pulido/Ramos (USC) - 8-3
(3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) def. Fansler/Kinstler (USC) - 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 3:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 5:00pm PTLive