Carlyle, Masterson make 1,500 Meter Finals at Pac-10s
May 15, 2010
BERKELEY, Calif. - Redshirt sophomore Laura Carlyle improved on her school record again in the 1,500 meter run in her finals qualifying run Saturday and will compete in the finals Sunday alongside fellow sophomore Casey Masterson in the final day of the 2010 Pac-10 Track and Field Championships.
Carlyle set the school record in the 1,500 meter run for the second consecutive week improving her record time to 4:23.86 which qualifies her for the event final Sunday. She finished ninth overall for the event. Finishing right behind Carlyle was Masterson who held the school record up until last week finished 11th overall with a time of 4:26.40 and also qualified for the event final.
'It was a pretty good day,' Oregon State women's track head coach Kelly Sullivan said Saturday night following day one competition. 'Laura and Casey both make the event final and Laura setting the school record again was pretty outstanding.
Freshman Taylor Hunt ran herself into the Oregon State record books with her time of 2:13.22 in the 800 meter run which is good enough for eighth all-time. Ashley Mayfield dropped her personal best time by nearly four seconds with her time of 2:14.41 in the 800-meters. Ashley Berry ran a 2:17.88 in the 800-meters Saturday.
'I'm really proud of what Taylor and Ashley (Mayfield) were able to do today,' Sullivan said. 'Taylor dropped her personal best by three second and Ashley by four seconds which are two really good improvements.'
Olivia Poblacion finished 14th overall in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a time of 11:32.84 in her fourth time running the event this spring.
Sandra Martinez and Hannah Soza-Hodgkinson finished out the day for the Oregon State women in the 10,000 meter run. Martinez was a few seconds off of her school record time with a time of 35.35.21 Saturday. Soza-Hodgkinson finished with a time of 37:41.03.
Also competing representing Oregon State were two football student-athletes, Markus Wheaton and Keynan Parker. Both had only been practicing for only a week and a half before the Pac-10 Championships and had not entered a formal competition this spring before Saturday.
Parker ran the 60 meter dash during the winter indoor season and competed in the 100 meter dash Saturday. He finished with a time of 10.97. Wheaton also ran during the indoor season and ran the 200 meter Saturday finishing with a time of 22.36.
'Keynan and Markus were a little disappointed with how they ran today but considering how little they have been able to train for their events they did an outstanding job,' Sullivan said.
Competing Sunday at the 2010 Pac-10 Championships will be Carlyle and Masterson in the 1,500 meter event final starting at 1:15 p.m. Abby Chesimet will be running in the 5,000 meter run starting at 3:35 p.m. Also competing in the men's high jump will be football student-athletes Jordan Bishop and Obum Gwacham at 1:30 p.m.
Bishop competed in the high jump twice during the indoor season and put up a best height of 7'-00.50' at the UW Last Chance Qualifier in early March and has not competed since then.
Gwacham also competed twice in the high jump during the indoor season and posted a best height of 7'-01.00' at the UW Last Chance Qualifier. He has also competed twice during the outdoor track season at the Oregon Preview in March and most recently at the Oregon Twilight last week. At both outdoor meets he posted a height of 7'-01.75' which places him 17th overall in the country for the event.
By Bishop and Gwacham both posting heights of over seven feet in the high jump, they became the ninth and 10th men in school history to surpass that benchmark. The all-time mark for the high jump at Oregon State was set by Tom Woods with a height of 7'-04.50' set in 1973.
The 2010 Pac-10 Championships will be broadcasted via tape delay on FSN Northwest Friday, May 21 at 11 a.m. PST and will be repeated Saturday, May 22 at 12 p.m. PST. Barry Tompkins will be doing the play-by-play, Joanna Hayes and Tom Feuer doing the analysis and Krista Blunk will be trackside.
Live results will be posted throughout the meet at , while complete results following each day will be available on the internet at www.calbears.com or www.pac-10.org.
Women's 1,500 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)1. Katie Follett (Washington) 4:22.92Q; 2. Alex Kosinski (Oregon) 4:25.51Q; 3. Lisa Egami (Washington State) 4:23.08Q; 4. Jordan Hasay (Oregon) 4:25.67Q; 5. Kailey Campbell (Washington) 4:23.09Q; 9. Laura Carlyle (Oregon State) 4:23.86q; 11. Casey Masterson (Oregon State) 4:26.40q.
Women's 800 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Christina Rodgers (Arizona) 2:06.83Q; 2. Sofia Oberg (California) 2:07.65Q; 3. Becca Friday (Oregon) 2:06.87Q; 4. Anna Layman (Washington State) 2:07.84Q; 5. Anne Kesselring (Oregon) 2:06.89q; 13. Taylor Hunt (Oregon State) 2:13.22; 14. Ashley Mayfield (Oregon State) 2:14.41; 16. Ashley Berry (Oregon State) 2:17.88.
Women's 3,000 Meter Steeplechase (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Claire Michel (Oregon) 10:11.70; 2. Margaret Callahan (Arizona) 10:16.86; 3. Marie Lawrence (Washington) 10:20.79; 4. Hannah Moen (Arizona) 10:23.77; 5. Maddie O'Meara (Stanford) 10:24.06; 14. Olivia Poblacion (Oregon State) 11:32.84.
Women's 10,000 Meter Run (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Nicole Blood (Oregon) 33:28.38; 2. Mattie Bridgmon (Oregon) 33:38.79; 3. Stephanie Marcy (Stanford) 33:41.57; 4. Anita Campbell (Washington) 33:44.04; 5. Megan Meyer (Arizona) 33:46.96; 15. Sandra Martinez (Oregon State) 35:35.21; 21. Hannah Soza-Hodgkinson (Oregon State) 37:41.03.
Men's 100 Meter Dash (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. Ashton Eaton (Oregon) 10.19Q; 2. James Alaka (Washington) 10.33Q; 3. Ahmad Rashad (USC) 10.46Q; 4. Lawrence Trice (Arizona State) 10.50Q; 5. Marlon Murray (Washington State) 10.47q; 23. Keynan Parker (Oregon State) 10.97.
Men's 200 Meter Dash (Top Five and Oregon State Times)
1. James Alaka (Washington) 21.07Q; 2. Joey Hughes (USC) 21.21Q; 3. Ahmad Rashad (USC) 21.23Q; 4. Maxwell Dyce (UCLA) 21.43q; 5. Mark Mueller (Stanford) 21.47q; 16. Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) 22.36.