No. 7 Stanford Opens NCAA Tourney With 4-0 Rout Of Quinnipiac
May 15, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 7 Stanford routed Quinnipiac 4-0 on Saturday afternoon in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Riding a season-high eight-match winning streak, the Cardinal (19-5, 5-1 Pac-10) simply had too much firepower for the overmatched Bobcats (10-5, 2-2 NEC) and wrapped up the match in less than two hours.
Stanford improved to 96-15 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
The Cardinal wasted little time taking control, capturing the doubles point for the 20th time this year with wins on courts two and three, respectively.
Leading 3-0, Richard Wire provided the clincher with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph at the No. 5 spot.
Stanford will face No. 21 Pepperdine in the second round tomorrow at 12 p.m., with a berth to next weekend's NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga., on the line.
No. 7 Stanford 4, Quinnipiac 0
1) No. 4 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) led Mikkelson/Kwei (QUIN) 6-3, susp.
2) No. 51 Clayton/Wire (STAN) d. Hughes/Weeden (QUIN) 8-4
3) Kandath/Lin (STAN) d. Feldman/Dillon Kraus (QUIN) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1) No. 13 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Brian Mikkelson (QUIN) 6-0, 6-0
2) No. 84 Ryan Thacher (STAN) led John Hughes (QUIN) 6-4, 1-0, susp.
3) No. 62 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Andrew Weeden (QUIN) 6-0, 6-1
4) Denis Lin (STAN) led Garret Lane (QUIN) 6-3, 5-0, susp.
5) Richard Wire (STAN) d. James Kwei (QUIN) 6-2, 6-4
6) Greg Hirshman (STAN) led Charles Feldman (QUIN) 6-0, 5-2, susp.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive