No. 9 Men's Tennis Downs Sac State, 4-0 in NCAA First Round
May 15, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-seeded UCLA men's tennis team cruised in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Championships on Saturday, posting a 4-0 victory over Sacramento State in regional action at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. Awaiting the Bruins in the second round is No. 17 Cal, which dispatched of UC Irvine, 4-0 earlier in the day. UCLA and Cal will meet on Sunday at 1:00 p.m., with the winner advancing to next week's round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
UCLA was in control of Saturday's match from the start, quickly taking a pair of doubles wins at court Nos. 1 and 2 to claim the point. Alex Brigham and Holden Seguso also had match point at court No. 3 when play was suspended.
It was much of the same in singles, with the Bruins claiming the first set on all six courts. Straight-set wins by Amit Inbar (court No. 5), Matt Brooklyn (court No. 3) and Kallim Stewart (court No. 6) gave UCLA all it needed to clinch the match and book a spot in Sunday's second round.
UCLA already owns a pair of wins over Cal this season, beating the Golden Bears, 4-3 in the Bay Area on Feb. 27 and 5-2 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on April 2.
#9 UCLA 4, Sacramento State 0 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
May 15, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
NCAA First Round
1. #16 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. #84 Harbatsiuk/Starcevic (SAC) 8-4
2. Abid/Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Ching/Stryhas (SAC) 8-2
3. Alex Brigham/Seguso (UCLA) vs. Lantin/Smith (SAC) 7-2, unfinished
1. #71 Nick Meister (UCLA) vs. #91 Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. #51 Haythem Abid (UCLA) vs. Anton Stryhas (SAC) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
3. #58 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #109 Jason Smith (SAC) 6-0, 6-3
4. #117 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Holden Ching (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Holden Seguso (UCLA) vs. Marko Starcevic (SAC) 6-1, 5-4, unfinished
6. Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Tim Lantin (SAC) 7-6(2), 6-1
Sacramento State 17-12
UCLA 15-6; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,3,6)
UCLA will face Cal in Sunday's second round at 1:00 p.m.
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive