Baseball Opens Pivotal Weekend Series Against Arizona Friday
May 27, 2010
Oregon State (29-21, 10-14) vs. Arizona (32-20, 11-13)
RHP Greg Peavey (4-3, 3.71) vs. RHP Kurt Heyer (6-3, 2.91)
May 28, 2010 • 5:30 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium
Oregon State opens its last series of the regular season Friday night against Arizona. First pitch is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. PT.
The game will air live on the Beaver Sports Network, Beaver Nation Online (osubeavers.com), with Mike Parker calling the action. For more information on catching the Beavers on the radio, check osubeavers.com.
The game will not be televised.
Catch live updates of the game by visiting osubeavers.com and clicking on Gametracker. The game will also be available via a live audio and video stream on Beaver Nation Online (osubeavers.com) for a fee.
Stefen Romero’s run-scoring single in the fifth proved to be the game winner as the Oregon State baseball team closed out its regular season non-conference schedule with a 2-1 victory over No. 21 Oregon in front of 8,487 fans at PGE Park Wednesday night. Romero drove in Jared Norris, who started off the inning with a walk and then moved to second on a wild pitch. The run came off Oregon reliever Christian Jones, who gave up both of OSU’s runs in 1 1/3 innings of relief.
The series has postseason implications as OSU is tied for eighth, just a game behind sixth-place Arizona. The Beavers carry an unofficial RPI of 28 into the game while the Wildcats are 21st.
OSU’s bats have come alive as of late, propelling the Beavers to a 6-4 mark over their last 10 games. The Beavers are batting .316 with a .520 slugging percentage over the last 10.
Adalberto Santos has an 11-game hit streak, which is impressive. Even more impressive is that he is hitting .440 (22-for-50) during it.
Notes Of Importance
• Friday’s probable starter, Greg Peavey, is 7-1 in 19 career appearances at Goss Stadium, and has a 2.67 ERA in 101 innings.
• The Oregon State bullpen has gone 6-2 with four saves in five opportunities in the month of May.
• The Beavers are 11-3 in one-run games this season. They were 7-9 in 2009.
• Jared Norris has two home runs and five RBI in 12 career at bats against Arizona.
• OSU is 8-3 in its last 11 games, with five of those victories coming against top-25 clubs.
• OSU is 20-1 when out-hitting its opponent.
• Sunday’s game will OSU’s Senior Day as the Beavers will honor Rob Folsom and Adalberto Santos.
• Saturday’s game is scheduled to be televised on FSN Northwest and KEZI 9.2. Oregon State is 4-4 in games televised this season.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive