Four Teams In Top-5; USC, UCLA Pac-12 Share Lead
Two of the top five teams in the nation share the Pac-12 lead in the Conference standings. Ranked No. 2 and No. 5, respectively, UCLA and USC boast a 6-1 league record to share first place. Not far behind are third-ranked WASHINGTON and 15th-ranked OREGON, each with only one loss heading into the weekend, as well ... The FSN Pac-12 Match of the Week features the Bruins traveling to ARIZONA. The match pits two of the top-10 hitters in the league. Check local listings for the tape-delayed broadcast ... The Ducks are targeting this Friday's match against No. 4 CALIFORNIA to challenge the program's attendance record. It's a big weekend for Cal and UO, as both its football and volleyball teams battle each other this weekend ... The Bank of the West Pac-12 Players of the Week were STANFORD's Carly Wopat (Offensive), WASHINGTON's Bianca Rowland (Defensive) and Cal's Christina Higgins (Freshman). Wopat is the first-ever Pac-12 volleyball player to earn offensive and defensive weekly honors ... The newest AVCA Coaches Poll has six Pac-12 teams ranked in the top-15: No. 2 Bruins, No. 3 Huskies, No. 4 Golden Bears, No. 5 Trojans, No. 7 STANFORD and No. 15 OREGON.
• Making Moves ... After a lot of movement in last week's AVCA Coaches poll, this week, most teams have maintained their positions in the rankings. UCLA and USC made the biggest jumps in last week's poll, but remain at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively. Two more Pac-12 squads appear in the national top-five - Washington held steady at No. 3, while California stayed put at No. 4. Stanford made a slight move down to No. 7 in the polling, while Oregon is ranked 15th for the third-straight week. At this rate, all league teams face at least one ranked opponent on most weekends of Pac-12 play.
• FSN Match of the Week ... Arizona will have a big challenge on its hands as second-ranked UCLA heads to Tucson for FSN's Pac-12 Match of the Week. The Bruins lead the all-time series, 35-15, and has won the last six meetings. The match will pit two of the top-10 hitters in the Pac-12 against each other. Veteran Rachael Kidder, the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 5, leads UCLA and ranks fifth in the league with 4.28 kills per set, while Wildcat freshman Madison Kingdon is ranked eighth with a team-leading 3.80 kills average. The Bruins also have a veteran setter in senior Lauren Van Orden going up against Arizona setter Chloe Mathis, the Sept. 19 Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. Mathis recently won the starting job and leads the team with 8.68 assists per set. A returning starter, Van Orden ranks sixth in the Pac-12 with 10.72 aps.
• Ducks Go For Record ... With both the volleyball and football teams taking on Califorinia this weekend, the Ducks have dubbed this week "Beat Cal Week" and are looking to shatter the volleyball program's attendance mark which currently stands at 3,817 (set in 2008 vs. Washington). The volleyball match is scheduled for Friday evening, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. PT.
• Hello Again ... Colorado and Washington State will meet for only the second time ever in the history of both programs when the Buffaloes travel to Pullman on Saturday, Oct. 8. It will mark the first meeting between the teams since 1999. CU will be looking for its first-ever victory in the Pac-12, while the Cougars will be looking to build upon their recent successes which include the team's first league win since Nov. 27, 2009 when WSU defeated Arizona State in five sets on Sept. 23. WSU is led by senior Megan Ganzer who leads the Pac-12 and ranks third in the nation in kills per set (5.00). The Buffs are led by junior Kerra Schroeder, who averages 4.15 kps to rank sixth in the Pac-12.
Fri., Oct. 7
#4 CALIFORNIA at #15 OREGON, 7 p.m. PT*
COLORADO at #3 WASHINGTON, 7 p.m. PT*
#7 STANFORD at OREGON STATE, 7 p.m. PT*
#2 UCLA at ARIZONA STATE, 7 p.m. PT*
#5 USC at ARIZONA, 7 p.m. PT*
UTAH at WASHINGTON STATE, 7 p.m. PT*
Sat., Oct. 8
COLORADO at WASHINGTON STATE, 7 p.m. PT*
#7 STANFORD at #15 OREGON, 7 p.m. PT*
#2 UCLA at ARIZONA (FSN), 7 p.m. PT*
#5 USC at ARIZONA STATE, 7 p.m. PT*
UTAH at #3 WASHINGTON, 7 p.m. PT*
Sat., Oct. 1
#4 CALIFORNIA at OREGON STATE, 1 p.m. PT*
* Indicates Pac-12 Conference game
Game times local to site
FSN - indicates tape delayed televised broadcast on Fox Sports Net.
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Tue 12/19 | 6:00pm PTLive
Tue 12/19 | 8:00pm PTLive