Another tennis medal for former Cardinal
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. - A day after winning his first-career Olympic gold medal, USA's Mike Bryan (STAN) picks up a bronze medal in London, taking third place in the mixed doubles tennis competition.
Bryan and partner Lisa Raymond defeated Germany's Sabine Lisicki and Christopher Kas to claim the bronze medal. Bryan, with twin brother Bob (STAN), won the men's doubles gold medal on Saturday.
After nine days of Olympic competition, the Pac-12's medal count stands at 24 - nine gold, seven silver and eight bronze. If the Conference were a nation, it would rank seventh behind France (25) in total medals. China leads all nations in the medal count with 61, followed by the U.S. with 60.
Pac-12 Guide to Day 10 of the Olympics (Monday, August 6, 2012)
Track & Field (Athletics, M/W)
• The qualification and final rounds of the women's shot put take place on Monday. USA's Jillian Camarena-Williams (STAN) is making her second Olympic appearance. Making her Olympic debut in the event is Canada's Julie LaBonte', a current student-athlete at Arizona. Both are competing in Group A.
• USA's Becky Holliday (ORE) is also a first-time Olympian and has already made it through the qualifying round to advance to the finals in women's pole vault.
• The Dominican Republic's Felix Sanchez (USC) ran the fastest time in the semifinals to qualify for the finals of the 400-meter hurdles on Monday.
• Taking off the 2011-12 collegiate campaign to train for the Olympics, the U.S.'s Emma Coburn (COLO) qualified for the finals of the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase. She was third in her qualifying heat with a time of 9:27.51.
• All teams are in the final day of group-stage play. The U.S., with three NBA All-Stars hailing from Pac-12 institutions, take on Argentina, who is just one point and one loss back of the first-place Americans in Group A.
• Australia, with former Cougar Aron Baynes, takes on first-place Russia in Group B play. The Aussies need a win to secure a spot in the elimination round.
• Eric Boateng (ASU) and Great Britain are tied with China, with former Cal Golden Bear Max Zhang, for fifth in the Group B standings. Both have four points each and need a win, and some help, if either team is to get into the elimination stage.
• Nigeria is tied for fourth in Group A and takes on France in a must-win situation. Tied with Lithuania, the Nigerians and Ike Diogu (ASU) will be watching the Lithuania-Tunisia game closely.
• On the sand, USA's Jake Gibb (UTAH) and Sean Rosenthal look to stay alive in the Olympic tournament, taking on Martins Plavins and Janis Smedins of Latvia. The American's are favored in the match.
• Micky Benedetti (ASU) of Italy begins his Olympic quest in the 3-meter springboard diving competition. The preliminary round begins for 29 divers at the Aquatics Centre and the top 18 move on to the semifinal round.
• USA's Rich Fellers advanced to the second qualification stage of the individual jumping, earning a tie for the top ranking in the competition.
• Chelsea Stewart (UCLA) and Canada take on USA, with nine players on the roster from Pac-12 teams, in the semifinal of the Olympics. The winner goes on to the gold-medal match. The Canadians will try to get past an American defense that has not allowed a goal since the first half of the opening game of the Olympic tournament.
• USA's Mariya Koroleva (STAN) and teammate Mary Killman go into the qualification free routine after placing 10th of 24 teams in the qualification technical routine competition.
• Donald Suxho (USC) and the U.S. look to bounce back from a 3-2 setback to Russia. The Americans, who are also mentored by a pair of assistant coaches with Pac-12 ties, are tied for first place heading into the final match of group play and take on winless Tunisia.
Men's Water Polo
• Serbia, with Aleksa Saponjic (CAL), take on Romania sitting comfortably atop the Group B standings. The Serbians have a three-match unbeaten streak heading into the final day of group play.
• The U.S., with eight from the Pac-12 and two assistant coaches with Conference ties, have also qualified for the elimination stage and take on Hungary in the final group match. The Americans are looking to bounce back from a loss to Serbia, the only loss, to-date.
• With only the top four teams in each group advancing, Australia, with help from James Clark (USC) and Joel Dennerley (USC), need a win over Greece to jump them in the standings and move on. The Aussies are currently in fifth place, sitting one point behind the Greeks.
Olympic action will be televised on the NBC family of networks and will also be live streamed at nbcolympics.com. For more information on TV listings and times, visit nbcolympics.com. For official results, schedules and medal counts, visit london2012.com.
This Weekend's Tweets from London
Jessica Hardy (CAL), USA Swimming // @swimhardy
"Got to see the Williams sisters' gold & Federer's (almost) gold at Wimbledon today!"
Allyson Felix (USC), USA Track & Field // @allysonfelix
"Last night, running in one of the fastest 100m finals in Olympic history was very special to me."
Mary Whipple (WASH), USA Rowing // @theseat
"Just said goodbye to my family and have a long day making my way to the rowing village to grab my stuff to check in the main village!!!"
Chay Lapin (UCLA), USA Water Polo // @ChayLapin
"Thanks everyone for watching our game yesterday! Tough one! We have another big game against Hungary don't forget watch #london2012"
Nick Thoman (ARIZ), USA Swimming // @Nick_Thoman
"Of course on the day we're moving all of our stuff out of the village it's raining harder than we've seen yet... #London2012 !!! Hahaha"
Nathan Adrian (CAL), USA Swimming // @Nathangadrian
"The meet is over! This one seemed to fly by a lot quicker vs other long meets I have been to. Ready to spend some time cheering for #teamusa"
Cyrus Hostetler (ORE), USA Track & Field // @chostetler15
"Last minute skype chat with my family before I go to bed was just what I needed!"
Sydney Leroux (UCLA), USA Women's Soccer // @sydneyleroux
"Running 25 laps would be the death of me."
Amy LePeilbet (ASU), USA Women's Soccer // @ALePeilbetFANS
"I asked my mom why she didn't sign me up for gymnastics.... She said cause I wouldn't wear a leotard! Bahahaha! Always a cool cat!"