Another Olympic silver for the Pac-12
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. - Caught in a close race from start to finish, USA's Dawn Harper was just short of Olympic gold, claiming a silver in the women's 100-meter hurdles on Tuesday. The medal brought the Conference's total to 27 for the London Games.
The difference between gold and silver in the women's 100-meter race was .02 seconds. Harper (UCLA), the gold medalist in the event in Beijing, ran a personal-best 12.37, but was edged by Australia's Sally Pearson for gold.
Highlighting Wednesday's events will be an all-American final in women's beach volleyball, guaranteeing the Pac-12 will add both gold and silver to its count. The USA duo of Kerri Walsh (STAN) and Misty May-Treanor take on former Trojans April Ross and Jennifer Kessy. Walsh and May-Treanor have been dominant in London and are looking for a third-straight gold medal while riding a 20-match winning streak over three Olympics. Making their Olympic debut, Ross and Kessy have not lost a match in London, either, upsetting the favored Brazilian team in the semifinals.
After 11 days of Olympic competition, the Pac-12's medal count stands at 27 - 10 gold, eight silver and nine bronze. If the Conference were a nation, it would tie for seventh with Germany in total medals. China leads all nations in the medal count with 73, followed by the U.S. with 70.
Pac-12 Guide to Day 12 of the Olympics (Wednesday, August 8, 2012)
Track & Field (Athletics, M/W)
• The decathlon begins tomorrow at Olympic Stadium. USA's Ashton Eaton (ORE) looks to be the gold-medal favorite after setting the world record at the U.S. Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore.
• USA's Georganne Moline (ARIZ), the 2012 Pac-12 Champion in the 400-meter hurdles, has burst onto the scene, surprising all prognosticators by advancing to the finals of the event. She is competing in her first-ever Olympic Games.
• USA's Allyson Felix (USC) is a two-time Olympic silver medalist at the 200-meter distance and looks to improve on that in the finals on Wednesday. She is running in her second sprint event of the London Games, coming in fifth in the 100-meter race.
• The United States takes on Aron Baynes (WSU) and Australia in quarterfinal action. The U.S., which features four players and a trainer with Pac-12 ties, finished the qualifying round atop Group A and outscored its opponents by 38.2 points per game. Australia finished fourth in Group B.
• In the final gold medal match, two American teams will be playing for gold, and three of the four athletes hail from Pac-12 institutions. Stanford alum Kerri Walsh and partner Misty May-Treanor take on Jennifer Kessy (USC) and April Ross (USC). Kessy and Ross come from a tough-fought three-set win against the Brazilians, where they dealt Larissa Franca and Juliana Silva their first loss in the Olympics.
• Donald Suxho (USC) and Team USA face Italy in the quarterfinal match. The United States, which also has a pair of assistant coaches with UCLA ties, finished match play atop Group B with four wins and one loss.
Men's Water Polo
• The United States, which has a number of players and an assistant coach with Pac-12 ties, squares off against Group A-winner Croatia in the quarterfinals. The U.S. looks to right the ship after losing its final two matches in group play.
• Aleksa Saponjic (CAL) and Group B winner Serbia turn their attention to Australia in the quarterfinals. Australia finished fourth in Group A with help from James Clark (USC) and Joel Dennerley (USC).
Olympic action will be televised on the NBC family of networks and will also be live-streamed at nbcolympics.com. For more information on TV listings and times, visit nbcolympics.com. For official results, schedules and medal counts, visit london2012.com.
Today's Tweets from London
Alex Morgan (CAL), USA Soccer // @alexmorgan13
"London we are FINALLY here!!!"
Matthew Centrowirtz (ORE), USA Track & Field //@MattCentrowitz
"Wow. Definitely a hard one 2 swallow. Did everything I could & just came up short. Been a few years since Ive cried but couldn't help it lol"
Melissa Seldemann (STAN), USA Water Polo // @melseidemann
"We definitely did that one as a team and it felt so good!!! Now were playing for a gold medal! #GoUSA"
Jessica Hardy (CAL) USA Swimming // @swimhardy
"Heading to Switzerland with @swissdom for some r&r."
Ryan Hall (STAN), USA Track & Field // @ryanhall3
"Slept in my Olympic uniform last night since my bag didn't make it. Hoping 2 get things sorted so I'm not he stinky kid on the starting line"
Maggie Steffens (STAN), USA Water Polo // @maggiesteffens
"One more game. excited for the last battle vs Spain... Gold on the line #DreamBig #TeamUSA #13sisters"
Amy LePeilbet (ASU), USA Soccer // @ALePeilbetFANS
"Derrick Jeter was trying to get the game on the big screen during practice. #USWNT the fandom continues to grow! Incredible!"
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive