The Gabe Marks Show is a hit in Pullman (link roundup)
We are more than a week into preseason practices in the college football world. Here’s what’s a-buzz around the Pac-12 on August 14:
- It’s not just Leach: Washington State’s most prized recruit from the Class of 2012 has the Cougar faithful pumped for the upcoming campaign. Are you ready for the Gabe Marks Show?
- Not too much has been settled in the way of QB races at Oregon, Colorado and Stanford, but redshirt frosh Brett Hundley was named the starting quarterback at UCLA last Friday, while Taylor Kelly has moved to the front of the three-man competition at Arizona State; just in time for a little trip to Camp Tontozona.
- So many weapons to choose from in Troy and Seattle, but CBS Sports has boiled it down to one guy on offense, defense and special teams needing to step up above the rest. So who are the three players that need to shine at Washington and USC for those schools to reach their potential this year?
- It’s all in the family up there in Corvallis: Mike Riley’s father used to coach at Oregon State back in the '60s and '70s, the Rodgers brothers made defenses pay a couple of years back, and now the Brennan brothers and Perry family get to spend quality time with each other on Riley’s coaching staff.
- Pass block, run block, carry it some, then throw on a different colored jersey and play D. All in a day’s work for Taimi Tutogi, who is getting it done wherever RichRod puts him.
- Being in the shadow of either Toby Gerhart or Andrew Luck has meant Stepfan Taylor hasn’t received a lot of pub despite two consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons. That’s about to change with both of those guys in the NFL: Here’s one of what’s sure to be many features this year on the importance of Stepfan Taylor.
- Who will the Ducks need to rely on most in each of their rivalry games this year? Bleacher Report has the answer.
- They are a young bunch in Boulder. According to the official roster, Colorado has 46 freshmen, 33 of which are true frosh. So which college rookies do you need to keep your eye on this year? Adam Munsterteiger gives his take on which Colorado freshmen have been impressive at practice.
- From walk-on to starting safety: the life and times of Utah defensive back Quade Chappuis.
- Johnathan Franklin has his eyes on the top of school rushing record list, a feat he can achieve with 1,062 yards in his last hurrah.
- Keenan Allen might not be the leading candidate out of the Pac-12 to win the Heisman (Matt Barkley might have something to say about that), but he’s one of the best receivers in the nation and this columnist says Allen deserves the Heisman hype.
NFL Training Camp News
- 10-16, 188 yards and two touchdown passes. Did you really expect anything else from Andrew Luck’s exhibition opener with the Colts?
- No. 12 isn’t the only rookie QB from the Pac-12 making noise. All Nick Foles did was throw two long touchdown passes in a 24-23 preseason W over the Steelers. Plus, now that Mike Kafka is down for a couple of weeks to injury, Foles has the chance to be Michael Vick’s backup.
- If you thought there was just one former Wildcat who is sprouting up the depth chart, think again. Superb training camp performance and an injury to a guy ahead of him has opened the door for 7th round draft pick Trevin Wade to be the Cleveland Browns’ nickel cornerback.
- The name “Keenan Allen” might have made you forget about the loss of a certain other receiver at Cal, but Marvin Jones led the Cincinnati Bengals in receiving yards in their preseason opener.
- How about a little love for the punters out there? Jaguars’ fourth down specialist Bryan Anger shook off a mediocre first boot to boom one 56 yards down the field and pinned another one inside the 10 that was recovered by his teammates.
- Arizona Football
- Arizona State Football
- California Football
- Colorado Football
- Oregon Football
- Oregon State Football
- Stanford Football
- UCLA Football
- USC Football
- Utah Football
- Washington Football
- Washington State Football
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Now on Pac-12 Network
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
Get Pac-12 Networks
Unable to get Pac-12 Network?Contact your provider ▶
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder