This week in Pac-12 men's soccer
By the Pac-12 Conference
Two weeks into Conference play and UCLA holds the top place of the standings. With three wins and suffering just one loss to WASHINGTON the Bruins have tallied 10 total points. WASHINGTON and STANFORD are battling in second position with seven and six points respectively. The Huskies and the Cardinal face off Sunday, Oct. 14 on the Pac-12 Networks at 12 p.m. OREGON STATE and CALIFORNIA are tied for fourth place in the Conference, but are just one victory away from moving up in the standings. After a rough start to Conference play SAN DIEGO STATE rounds out the Conference standings, but have an opportunity to move up in the standings this week when they face UCLA on Friday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. The Pac-12 Networks will air the matchup between the Golden Bears and the Huskies on Friday, Oct. 12 at 3 p.m.
• SCORING SENSATION: Pac-12 teams have had 50 different student-athletes score this season. OREGON STATE leads the Conference with 12 different members scoring.
• STREAK ENDED: WASHINGTON dealt UCLA their first loss since Aug. 24 on Oct. 8. The Huskies now are the only team undefeated in conference play, although UCLA still holds the top spot in the Conference with ten points. UCLA had won 16 straight Conference matches before falling to the Huskies.
• TELEVISION TIME: The Pac-12 Networks air two men's soccer games live this week. Washington hosts CALIFORNIA on Friday, Oct. 12 at 3 p.m., as well as STANFORD on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 12 p.m.
• PLAYER OF THE WEEK: STANFORD's Zach Batteer is on a two-game scoring streak, dating back to Sept. 30. Most recently Batteer scored two goals in the 2-0 win over Cal on Oct. 4.
• Pac-12's top scorer Emery Welshman from Oregon State will be pitted against the top goalkeeper in the Conference, Kevin Peach, when OSU and CAL face-off on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 1 p.m.
• NATIONAL NEWS: Two Pac-12 players made national news this week when they were named to national teams of the week for their performances.
-SO F Zach Batteer was named to College Soccer News' national team of the week for his four point performance in the game against Cal.
-UCLA's SR MF Ryan Hollingshead earned a spot upon Soccer America's team of the week after having an assist in the 3-1 win at Stanford and a goal and assist in the win over California, 3-1.
• TIGHT GAMES: In the past week just one match was won by more than a single goal. With these close games also come multiple yellow cards with 17 being issued in the second week of Conference play.
• BATTLE OF THE BEST: UCLA leads the Conference in the least goals allowed and the most shutouts. The Bruins will face SDSU, who is among the top of the Conference in goals scored per game. It will be a battle of the top offense versus the top defense on Oct. 12.
• NATIONAL TEAM: UCLA's FR D Javan Torre has been added ot the U.S. U-20 Men's National Team 19-man roster that will compete in the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain from Oct. 6-17.
Friday, October 12
California at Washington, P12N, 3 p.m. PT*
Stanford at Oregon State, 7 p.m. PT*
UCLA at San Diego State, 7 p.m. PT*
Sunday, October 14
California at Oregon State, 1 p.m. PT*
Stanford at Washington, P12N, 12 p.m. PT*
Monday, October 15
Point Loma Nazarene at San Diego State, 7 p.m. PT
* indicates Conference game
Thursday, October 4
California at Stanford STAN, 2-0
Friday, October 5
Oregon State at UCLA UCLA, 1-0
Washington at San Diego State TIED, 1-1 (2OT)
Sunday, October 7
Oregon State at San Diego State OSU, 1-0
Monday, October 8
Washington at UCLA WASH, 2-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive