This week in Pac-12 softball
By the Pac-12 Confernce
After a strong opening weekend for Pac-12 softball the teams are back at it starting Wednesday, Feb. 13. No. 8/8 CALIFORNIA and No. 22/20 STANFORD kick off the week as the Golden Bears travel to face UC Davis and Stanford heads off to Santa Clara.No. 8/8 CALIFORNIA, No. 7/9 OREGON, OREGON STATE, No. 19/18 UCLA and UTAH will all be traveling to Las Vegas, Nev. this weekend for the Easton Desert Classic. Meanwhile, No. 18/17 WASHINGTON heads to San Diego, Calif. for the Campbell Cartier Classic. No. 22/20 STANFORD is hosting the Stanford Nike Invitational this weekend and No. 3/3 ARIZONA STATE is home for the second week in a row this time hosting the Littlewood Classic. No. 16/19 ARIZONA is hosting their first tournament of the season with the Hillenbrand Invitational.
Pac-12 Softball Notes
• Defensive Doubles: The Utes opened their 2013 weekend with a stellar weeked on defense. The team turned nine double plays on the weekend, the most of any Pac-12 school and triple the amount of the next closest Pac-12 school. The team also led the Pac-12 in fielding assists with 62
• Tournament Crown: Washington claimed the Paradise Softball Classic tournament crown in their opening weekend of play. The Huskies beat UAB and Hawai'i in bracket play to claim the win. Hooch Fagaly was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament. Kelli Suguro, Hooch Fagaly and Victoria Hayward were all named to the all-tournament team.
• Grand Slam Time: Oregon State freshman Natalie Hampton is wasting no time in making a mark on Beaver softball as she hit a grand slam in the 7-3 win over Northwestern. The freshman is batting an even .500 with two homers and nine RBIs in the team's first five games.
• Opening Day Victory: Seven of the nine Pac-12 teams opened their season with a win. It was the second year in a row that seven teams had won their first game.
• Tournament Time: Pac-12 teams are deep into tournaments through March 17. Pac-12 teams will participate in 24 different tournaments, with team's playing in the same tournament seven times. Pac-12 play begins on March 22.
• Hot on the Bats: The Pac-12 is wasting no time on hitting balls and scoring runs. Teams have tallied 372 hits and 223 RBI in the first weekend of play. They are outhitting their opponents 373 to 273. Pac-12 teams are also hitting the ball over the wall for a total of 51 home runs on opening weekend and only allowing 34 home runs from their opponents.
• Best in Years: The Sun Devils opened their season 7-0 by sweeping competition at the Kajikawa Tournament. This was the best start for Arizona State since the team started 15-0 back in 2007. With their strong performance the team moved up in the rankings going from No. 4 to No. 3 in both the USA Today/NFCA poll and USA Softball/ESPN.com poll.
•Follow us: For quick updates and to best way to follow your Pac-12 softball teams follow them on Twitter and like them on Facebook.
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive