Day 2 men's recap: Bay Area schools advance to semifinals
OJAI, Calif. - Day two continued at the Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championships in Ojai, Calif., at the 113th Annual Ojai Valley Tournament. No. 4 Stanford topped No. 5 Washington, 4-2 and third-seeded California beat sixth-seeded Utah, 5-0 to advance to the semifinals.
Washington claimed the first doubles match on court one as Kyle McMorrow and Marton Bots topped the doubles team of John Morrissey and Denis Lin, 8-5. The Cardinal bounced back and claimed victories on courts two and three to earn the doubles point. Robert Stineman and Maciek Romanowicz doubled together to top Jeff Hawke and Max Manthou by a score of 8-3. Jamin Ball and Daniel Ho tallied a score of 8-6 to beat Hudson Barnhart and Emmett Egger.
[Related: Pac-12 Men's Tennis Championships bracket]
The Cardinal continued in singles play to grow the lead to 2-0 as Ho defeated Viktor Farkas 6-3, 6-2 on court five. The Huskies were quick to come back on the number five court as Bots topped Nolan Paige after coming from behind 3-6, 6-1, 6-2. Momentum was with Washington as Egger earned the second point for the Huskies in a straight set 7-5, 6-4 win over Stanford’s Stineman. Stanford bounced back to close the match earning points on courts three and six as Romanowicz defeated Manthou, 7-5, 7-5 and Trey Strobel beat Kamisar, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. The No. 1 match of Stanford’s Morrissey versus Washington’s McMorrow was abandoned.
California came out on fire knocking down the doubles point in two matches. Mads Engsted and Ben McLachlan topped Cedric Willems and Slim Hamza on court two by a score of 8-3. In the third spot Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton defeated Utah’s Devin Lane and Alejandro Medinilla 8-1. The match on court one was abandoned between the pairs of Campbell Johnson and Chris Konigsfeldt of California and Ben Tasevac and Dmytro Mamedov of Utah.
The Golden Bears did not let up in singles play as Konigsfeldt took the victory on court two over Mamedov by a score of 6-4, 6-3. The third spot finished up soon after with Johnson of California defeating Utah’s Medinilla 2-6, 6-1, 6-0. The match on court four was won by the Golden Bear Bayane as he defeated Lane, 4-6, 6-3, 6-0. The match finished up on court six with Cal’s Melton winning over Tasevac, 6-1, 7-5. The matches on courts five and one were abandoned. California’s Engstead and Utah’s Willems were on court five with McLachlan from Cal and Hamza from Utah on court one.
No. 4 Stanford will face No. 1 UCLA at noon on Friday at Libbey Park. No. 3 California battles No. 2 USC at 3 p.m. PT.
#4 STANFORD 4, #5 WASHINGTON 2
1. Bots/McMorrow (WASH) def. Morrisey/Lin (STAN) - 8-5
2. Stineman/Romanowicz (STAN) def. Hawke/Manthou (WASH) - 8-3
3. Ball/Ho (STAN) def. Barnhart/Egger (WASH) - 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Morrissey (STAN) vs. #14 McMorrow (WASH) - Abandoned
2. Bots (WASH) def. Paige (STAN) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Romanowicz (STAN) def. Manthou (WASH) - 7-5, 7-5
4. Egger (WASH) def. Stineman (STAN) - 7-5, 6-4
5. Ho (STAN) def. Farkas (WASH) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Strobel (STAN) def. Kamisar (WASH) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1
#3 California 5, #6 Utah, 0
1. #32 Johnson/Kongsfeldt (CAL) vs. Tasevac/Mamedov (UTAH)- - Abandoned
2. #66 Engstead/McLachlan (CAL) def. Willems/Hamza (UTAH) - 8-3
3. Bayane/Melton (CAL) def. Lane/Medinilla (UTAH) - 8-1
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #33 McLachlan (CAL) vs. #107 Hamza (UTAH) - Abandoned
2. #82 Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Mamedov (UTAH) - 6-4, 6-3
3. #62 Johnson (CAL) def. Medinilla (UTAH) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Bayane (CAL) def. Lane (UTAH) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Engstead (CAL) def. Willems (UTAH) - Abandoned
6. Melton (CAL) def. Tasevac (UTAH) - 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive