Day 3 men's recap: Battle of the California schools
OJAI, Calif. - It will be a battle of the first and second seeds in the Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship at the 113th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament on Saturday, April 27 at 4 p.m. PT. In semifinal competition, No. 1 UCLA knocked off No. 4 Stanford in the first match of the day by a score of 4-0. During the afternoon match No. 2 USC topped No. 3 California 4-1.
UCLA claimed the doubles point in two matches with the No. 3 duo of Dennis Mkrtchian and Clay Thompson taking the first match over Stanford’s Jamin Ball and Daniel Ho, 8-1. Court two was quick to finish with Alex Brigham and Karve Sell topping Maciek Romanowicz and Robert Stineman, 8-3. With UCLA claiming the doubles point, the match on court one was halted between the UCLA duo of Marcos Giron and Dennis Novikov and Stanford’s pair of Denis Lin and John Morrissey.
[Related: Pac-12 Men's Tennis Championships bracket]
The ball continued to bounce in favor of the Bruins as they finished the match off claiming wins on courts five, two and four to end the match at 4-0. Sell claimed the victory on court five over Ho, 6-1, 6-0. On court two, Nolan Paige of Stanford fell to Giron by a score of 6-2, 6-4. The match was clinched by Thompson as he topped Stineman, 6-2, 6-0. The matches were abandoned between Morrissey (STAN) and Novikov (UCLA) on court one, Romanowicz of Stanford and Mkrtchian of UCLA on court three, as well as the match between Stanford’s Lin and UCLA’s Maxime Tabatruong on court six.
California was on fire in doubles play as Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton earned the first match with a score of 8-6. After a long battled match on court one, Campbell Johnson and Chris Konigsfeldt topped USC’s Ray Sarmiento and Yannick Hanfmann 9-8 to clinch the doubles point. The match between USC’s Roberto Quiroz and Emilio Gomez against Cal’s Mads Engsted and Ben McLachlan was abandoned.
Moving onto doubles USC was determined not to go home as they captured victories on courts two through five to earn four straight points for the win. The first Trojan to claim a victory on the day was Hanfmann on court two over Cal’s Konigsfeldt by a score of 6-2, 6-4. On court four Eric Johnson of USC defeated Bayane in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. USC’s Jonny Wang stepped foot on the court for the first time of the day as he topped Engsted after falling in the first set, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2. The clinching point was on court three as Quiroz scored 7-6, 7-2 to beat Cal’s Johnson. Sarmiento of USC and McLachlan of Cal were abandoned on court one along with Michael Grant of USC against Melton on court five.
No. 1 UCLA and No. 2 USC will face each other at 4 p.m. PT for the Championship Final at Libbey Park.
#1 UCLA 4, #4 STANFORD 0
1. Lin/Morrissey (STAN) vs. Giron/Novikov (UCLA) - Abandoned 2. Brigham/Sell (UCLA) def. Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) - 8-3 3. Mkrtchian/Thompson (UCLA) def. Ball/Ho (STAN) - 8-1
1. Morrissey (STAN) vs. Novikov (UCLA) - Abandoned
2. Giron (UCLA) def. Paige (STAN) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Romanowicz (STAN) vs. Mkrtchian (UCLA) - Abandoned 4. Thompson (UCLA) def. Stinemant (STAN) - 6-2, 6-0
5. Sell (UCLA) def. Ho (STAN) - 6-1, 6-0
6. Lin (STAN) vs. Tabatruong (UCLA) - Abandoned
Order of finish: 5, 2, 4
#2 USC 4, #3 CALIFORNIA 1
1. Johnson/Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Sarmiento/Hanfmann (USC) - 9-8 2. Quiroz/Gomez (USC) vs. Engstead/McLachlan (CAL) - Abandoned 3. Bayane/Melton (CAL) def. Johnson/DeVroome (USC) - 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. Sarmiento (USC) vs. McLachlan (CAL) - Abandoned 2. Hanfmann (USC) def. Konigsfeldt (CAL) - 6-2, 6-4 3. Quiroz (USC) def. Johnson (CAL) - 7-6, 6-2
4. Johnson (USC) def. Bayane (CAL) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Wang (USC) def. Engsted (CAL) - 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Grant (USC) vs. Melton (CAL) - Abandoned
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive