Women's soccer prepares for final weekend before Pac-12 play begins
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. - The Conference ended week four with a 7-3-6 record to bring their non-conference record in 2013 to 47-20-14. California, who was off this past weekend, Stanford and Washington State are the three Conference teams that remain unbeaten heading into the final weekend of non-conference play before Pac-12 play begins on September 26. Eight teams are scheduled to play two games over the weekend with USC, Utah and Colorado at home, UCLA and WSU on the road, and Stanford, California and Oregon State all playing home and away splits. The other four teams (Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State) all have only one game on their slate and will all be hosting teams at home. Colorado is set to host the Omni Soccer in Classic in Boulder, but those games could be in jeapordy due to the damaging floods the Boulder area has suffered. California and Stanford will be tested as they each face No. 22/13 Santa Clara. California will be at home while Stanford will travel a short distance to face the Broncos at their home stadium.
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- Historic Start for the Cougars: Washington State is unbeaten through seven matches for the first time in school history and unbeaten in last 11 matches dating back to last season, also a school-record. Senior forward Micaela Castain leads the league in total points (19) and is second in goals (8). Castain scored four goals in two games last weekend to earn Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week honors.
- Colorado suffered their first loss of the season in a 3-0 defeat to then No. 20/16 Denver. The game had to be moved to Sunday in Denver due to the state of emergency in Boulder.
- Dusting off the Rust: California didn’t play this weekend while Stanford only played one game. As the only teams facing a top-25 ranked oppponent in week five, both teams will need to be on the top of their game after a lighter schedule in week four.
- Last Weekend to Prepare for Pac-12: Pac-12 play begins Thursday, September 26th as Oregon hosts Washington State at 7 p.m. in a game that will be televised live on the Pac-12 Networks. Pac-12 teams will be looking to play well this weekend in an effort to prepare for a challenging Pac-12 schedule day-in and day-out.
- Stanford is hard to beat at home: The Cardinal carry a 71-match home unbeaten streak--the second-longest in NCAA Division I women’s soccer history heading into their home match against St. Mary’s on Thursday night at 7 p.m. PT.
- Offensive Power in state of Arizona: Despite both suffering losses to No. 24 Texas Tech at the Cats Classic hosted by the Wildcats, Arizona and Arizona State have shown offensive fire-power throughout their non-conference slate. Arizona leads the Conference in goals (19) and is second in shots (140) while Arizona State is tied for second in both categories with 18 goals and 124 shots.
- The Huskies are looking to even their record at 4-4 when they face Gonzaga at home in a match that will be on the Pac-12 Networks at 7 p.m. Washington is looking to win two in a row for the first time this season.
- Heartbreaker for the Trojans: USC suffered a heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Pepperdine in overtime but recovered on Sunday to score five goals in a 5-1 win over Loyola Marymount.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (Times local to site)
USC vs. Florida Atlantic, 3 p.m. PT
STANFORD vs. St. Mary’s (California) (P12N), 7 p.m. PT
CALIFORNIA vs. Santa Clara, 7 p.m. PT
UCLA at Pepperdine, 3 p.m. PT
COLORADO vs. Stony Brook, 4 p.m. MT
Omni Soccer Classic (Boulder, Colo.)
ARIZONA STATE vs. Boise State (P12N), 5:30 p.m. MT
WASHINGTON vs. Gonzaga (P12N), 4:30 p.m. PT
WASHINGTON STATE at. Cal State Fullerton, 6 p.m. PT
UTAH vs. Utah State, 7:30 p.m. MT
OREGON STATE vs. Cal Poly, 7 p.m. PT
ARIZONA vs. Hawaii (P12N), 4:30 p.m. PT
OREGON vs. San Francisco, 7 p.m. PT
Sunday, September 22
CALIFORNIA vs. St. Mary’s (California) (P12N), 11 a.m. PT
UTAH vs. Oklahoma, 12 noon MT
COLORADO vs. UNLV, 1:30 p.m. MT
Omni Soccer Classic (Boulder, Colo.)
WASHINGTON STATE vs. UC Irvine, 2 p.m. PT
USC vs. Cal State Fullerton, 3 p.m. PT
UCLA at Loyola Marymount, 4 p.m. PT
OREGON STATE at Gonzaga, 1 p.m. PT
STANFORD at Santa Clara (ESPNU), 7 p.m. PT
- Arizona Women's Soccer
- Arizona State Women's Soccer
- California Women's Soccer
- Colorado Women's Soccer
- Oregon Women's Soccer
- Oregon State Women's Soccer
- Stanford Women's Soccer
- UCLA Women's Soccer
- USC Women's Soccer
- Utah Women's Soccer
- Washington Women's Soccer
- Washington State Women's Soccer
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Soccer