Cal Plays in Saint Mary’s Invitational This Week
BERKELEY – California hits the courts again when the Golden Bears play in the Saint Mary’s Invitational from Friday through Sunday at the Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif. The field includes players from 14 schools: Cal, Saint Mary’s, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, Pacific, Portland, Sacramento State, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Stanford and Washington.
Scouting the Bears
- Ranked No. 4 in the ITA preseason singles poll, junior Zsofi Susanyi reached the round of 16 (defeating Florida’s 16th-ranked Sofie Oyen, 6-3, 6-4, along the way) in the recent Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
- Senior Anett Schutting, who is ranked fifth by the ITA, also reached the round of 16 at the All-American tournament, beating Pepperdine’s 25th-ranked Lorraine Guillermo, 6-0, 5-7, 6-4, in the round of 32
- Sophomore Klara Fabikova, who holds a No. 23 ranking, advanced to the qualifying round of 32 at the All-American; she beat two ranked players – Oklahoma’s No. 47 Hermon Brhane (3-6, 6-2, 6-2) and Mississippi’s 85th-ranked Mal El Kamash (6-4, 1-6, 7-5) along the way
- Sophomore Lynn Chi, ranked 44th, reached the quarterfinals of the qualifying singles back draw in Pacific Palisades
- Schutting and Chi, who form the 11th-ranked doubles team in the nation, reached the consolation quarterfinals of the All-American; the Bears had beaten Clemson’s 13th-ranked Beatrice Gumulya and Yana Koroleva, 8-6, in the round of 16
- The 25th-ranked duo of Fabikova and Susanyi ended their run in the All-American in the first round of the qualifying back draw
- Former All-American Amanda Augustus (Cal ’99) is in her seventh season as head coach of her alma mater
- Associate head coach Cordell Ho (Cal ’72) is in his 17th season working with Cal tennis
- Former Cal head coach Jan Brogan is the Bears’ volunteer assistant coach; the legendary coach led the program for 29 years and retired after the 2006-07 season
Scouting the Field
Saint Mary’s has yet to announce the draws for its tournament, but the potential entrants in the Saint Mary’s Invitational include the following talented players:
- Stanford’s No. 8 Krista Hardebeck and No. 13 Kristie Ahn
- Santa Clara’s 20th-ranked Katie Le
- No. 22 Jenny Jullien of Saint Mary’s
- San Francisco’s 57th-ranked Andrea Ka
Cal Plays in the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships in Stanford, Calif.