Oregon upsets Stanford, California defeats Utah to advance to men's tennis quarterfinal round
OJAI, Calif. - On day two of the Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championships, fourth-ranked CALIFORNIA put on a dominant showcase against UTAH, winning 4-0 to punch its ticket to the quarterfinal round, while seventh-ranked OREGON knocked off third-ranked STANFORD to advance.
California blanked the Utes in sweeping fashion, opening the day of competition with doubles victories on courts one and two. Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton defeated Utah’s Slim Hamza and Cedric Willems, 8-3, at the number one spot while Cal’s Ben McLachlan and Andre Goransson took the number two court over Utes Ben Tasevac and Devin Lane. In singles, Cal picked up three wins in straight sets as McLachlan overtook Hamza on court one, Campbell Johnson defeated Tasevac on court two and Goransson knocked off Willems on court four.
Stanford picked up the doubles point against Oregon, winning the doubles matches on courts two and three to clinch, but the Ducks came back in singles play and notched four victories to overcome the Cardinal. Robin Cambier had the match-clinching victory, upsetting Stanford’s John Morrissey on court one in a three-set win. Kevin Farin picked up a win for Oregon on court two over Daniel Ho, who moved up to the two-hole after Maciek Romanowicz was unable to compete. Daniel Sardu defeated Cardinal Nolan Paige and Jayson Amos won over Robert Stineman on court six to seal the upset for the Ducks.
Quarterfinal play begins tomorrow for the men. California will face off against No. 1 USC at noon PT, and Oregon takes on No. 2 UCLA at 3 p.m. PT. Live scores and results will be available on pac-12.com.
No. 4 California def. No. 5 Utah, 4-0
1. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (CAL) def. Slim Hamza/Cedric Willems (UTAH), 8-3
2. Ben McLachlan/Andre Goransson (CAL) def. Ben Tasevac/Devin Lane (UTAH), 8-5
3. Filip Bergevi/Mads Engsted (CAL) vs. Matt Cowley/Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH), 6-3 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. Ben McLachlan (CAL) def. Slim Hamza (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
2. Campbell Johnson (CAL) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) 6-3, 6-1
3. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) vs. Filip Bergevi (CAL) 7-5, 4-3 unfinished
4. Andre Goransson (CAL) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-4, 6-2
5. Devin Lane (UTAH) vs. Gregory Bayane (CAL) 6-4, 2-5 unfinished
6. Nikhil Jayashankar (CAL) vs. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 7-5, 2-1 unfinished
Order of finish: 2,1,4
No. 7 Oregon def. No. 3 Stanford, 4-2
1. Robin Cambier/Kevin Farin (ORE) def. Robert Stineman/Daniel Ho (STAN) 8-4
2. John Morrissey/Jamin Ball (STAN) def. Daan Maasland/Joey Swaysland (ORE), 8-4
3. Trey Strobel/Yale Goldberg (STAN) def. Daniel Sardu/Jayson Amos (ORE), 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Robin Cambier (ORE) def. John Morrissey (STAN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Kevin Farin (ORE) def. Daniel Ho (STAN) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Daan Maasland (ORE) vs. Trey Strobel (STAN) 7-5, 4-6, 5-4 unfinished
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) def. Nolan Paige (STAN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-1, 7-6(4)
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Robert Stineman (STAN) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,5,6,1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 8/24 | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/25 | 6:00pm PTLive