This week in Pac-12 men's soccer
Three Pac-12 teams advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament following wins on Sunday. UCLA, CALIFORNIA and WASHINGTON kickoff their third-round games on Sunday Nov. 30. Two of those teams will clash as California faces off with UCLA. The Golden Bears won both regular season matchups against the Bruins, but UCLA is the higher seed and will host. The winner advances to the Tournament quarterfinals. Washington will need to beat No. 3-seed Michigan State to join the winner in the Tournament’s last eight teams.
Around the League
• California knocked off SIU Edwardsville 1-0. Senior MF Bobby Sekine scored the game winning goal, while junior GK Alex Mangels tallied his second-career shutout.
• Oregon State battled its way to its first-ever Tournament win, topping Denver 1-0, but the Beavers did not have enough to continue past the second round, falling to No. 9 Creighton, 1-0. F Khiry Shelton was named the the Pac-12 Player of the Year and F Timmy Mueller took Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors.
• Stanford entered the tournament as a No. 6 seed after winning the Pac-12 title, but was upset in the second round in overtime, losing to UC Irvine, 1-0. The defeat was the Cardinal’s first to UC Irvine since 1993 and its first loss at home this season. D Brandon Vincent earned honors as the Pac-12’s defensive player of the year and head coach Jeremy Gunn was selected as the Conference’s Coach of the Year.
• UCLA needed extra time, but MF Leo Stolz buried his second goal of the game in overtime to lead the Bruins into the third round with a 2-1 victory over San Diego. USD had beaten UCLA earlier this season, but behind Stolz’s pair of scores and Earl Edwards Jr.’s five saves, the Bruins found a way to win despite being outshot 14-9.
• Washington cut it close, advancing in penalty kicks in the second round to get past Furman. GK Spencer Richey came up big with a save in the ninth round of the shootout to punch the Huskies ticket to the Sweet 16. Washington will matchup with No. 13 Michigan State a team the Huskies defeated 1-0 in a preseason matchup this season.
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive