This week in Pac-12 men's basketball
• MARQUEE MATCHUPS... After going 3-0 vs. Top 25 teams last week, three more Top 25 opponents are on the docket for the Pac-12 this week as WASHINGTON STATE visits No. 9 Gonzaga, No. 13 UTAH is in Kansas City to take on No. 10 Kansas, and UCLA hosts No. 9 Gonzaga.
• POLL WATCHING... Three Pac-12 teams are in this week’s Top 25 - ARIZONA (No. 3 AP/No. 3 Coaches), UTAH (13/14) and WASHINGTON (17/17)... It’s the highest ranking for the Utes since coming in at No. 13 on Feb. 22, 2005... The Huskies hop into the polls for the first time since the 2010-11 season and it’s the highest ranking for Washington since coming in at No. 17 on Jan. 10, 2011.
• HOT STARTS... ARIZONA is off to a 8-0 start. The ‘Cats have won 35 consecutive non-conference regular season games dating back to December 2011, which is currently the longest streak in the nation... At 7-1, CALIFORNIA is off to its best start since the 2007-08 season when it also started 7-1... WASHINGTON is off to a 7-0 start, equaling its best start since 2006-07... UTAH is off to a 6-1 start, including a win over No. 8 Wichita State. It was the first Ute win over a Top 10 team since they defeated (51-49) No. 1 Alabama on Nov. 24, 2002.
• LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON... OREGON STATE junior G Gary Payton II, son of legendary OSU guard Gary Payton, has recorded three consecutive double-doubles, and all have been by the points-rebounds variety. He is averaging 18.7 ppg/13.3 reb during that span. The senior Payton had 29 double-doubles in 109 games during his time at OSU, and the only triple-double in school history. The triple double was the only time he recorded double-digit rebounds.
• NO PLACE LIKE HOME... So far this season, Pac-12 teams have racked up a 51-3 home court record. UCLA and UTAH lead the way with 6-0 marks at home, while ARIZONA, ARIZONA STATE and COLORADO are each 5-0... Arizona is currently riding a 26-game winning streak at McKale Center, the fifth-longest in program history. Since 2010-11, the Wildcats lead the Pac-12 in home court winning percentage and is 79-11 (.878).
• THE LONG BALL... ARIZONA STATE senior F Jonathan Gilling leads the Pac-12 in three-point field goal percentage (.581) after connecting on 25-of-43 this season. His 228 career three-pointers made rank sixth on the school’s all-time list... WASHINGTON STATE senior G DaVonté Lacy leads the Pac-12 with 3.3 three-point field goals made per game. He currently has 207 career treys, good for seventh on the school’s all-time list...
• APPROACHING MILESTONES... CALIFORNIA senior F David Kravish needs nine points to reach 1,000 points for his career and six blocked shots to reach 200 for his career. Only five other players in Pac-12 history have recorded 200 or more blocked shots in a career. Cal’s school record-holder is Michael Stewart (207, 1994-97)... STANFORD senior G Chasson Randle has moved up into the Top 50 list of Pac-12’s all-time leading scorers. He’s currently 44th with 1,757 career points... UCLA head coach Steve Alford needs two victories to reach 500 career wins.
• NCAA TOURNAMENT FUTURE SITES... The NCAA announced preliminary round sites for the 2016-18 NCAA Tournaments. In 2017, UTAH will host 1st/2nd Rounds in the Jon Huntsman Center, while the P12N will host the West Regional in San Jose at the SAP Center. Last week, the NCAA announced that Glendale, Ariz., (University of Phoenix Stadium) will be site of the 2017 Final Four. It’ll be the first western site to host the Final Four since UCLA won the 1995 national title in Seattle.
UPCOMING PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
Tues., Dec. 9, Time (local to site), Network
Utah Valley at No. 3 ARIZONA, 7 p.m. MT (P12N)
Wed., Dec. 10
Colorado State at COLORADO, 7 p.m. MT (P12N)
No. 13 UTAH at Brigham Young, 7 p.m. MT (ESPNU)
Wyoming at CALIFORNIA, 8 p.m. PT (P12N)
UC Riverside at UCLA, 8 p.m. PT (P12N)
WASHINGTON STATE vs. No. 9 Gonzaga (12), 8 p.m. PT (ESPNU)
Sat., Dec. 13
Pepperdine at ARIZONA STATE, 12 noon MT (P12N)
No. 13 UTAH vs. No. 10 Kansas (13), 2:15 p.m. CT (ESPN)
Mississippi State at OREGON STATE, 1 p.m. PT (P12N)
Denver at STANFORD, 3 p.m. PT (P12N)
Michigan at No. 3 ARIZONA, 3:15 p.m. MT (ESPN)
Northern Colorado at COLORADO, 4 p.m. MT (P12N)
Princeton at CALIFORNIA, 5:30 p.m. PT (P12N)
No. 9 Gonzaga at UCLA, 7 p.m. PT (ESPN)
OREGON at Illinois (14), 7 p.m. PT (BTN)
WASHINGTON STATE at Santa Clara, 7 p.m. PT
Army at USC, 7:30 p.m. PT (P12N)
Sun., Dec. 14
Eastern Washington at WASHINGTON, 5 p.m. PT (P12N)
Neutral Sites & Tournaments
(12) Spokane, Wash. (Spokane Arena)
(13) Kansas City, Kan. (Sprint Center)
(14) Chicago, Ill. (United Center)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive